Thread: New steering knuckles?

New steering knuckles?

I am wondering if replacing the steering knuckle housings are one of the “must do” items when overhauling the front end. Financially I’m just okay and I could get every possible front end part new but I also have a long way to go and would rather save the cash for things I will need. I just don’t know what are common bad spots because when I turn the steering wheel it seems fairly tight. There’s a little play at the bell crank and I know the tie rods are bent. Pitman arm seems fine but I just don’t know how to judge this stuff. I want to do it right and safe but I don’t like to waste money. Again, long way to go with an engine rebuild and a whole new tub kit in my future.
    Thanks for your advice
    Tom
    The photo is just to show project progress
    Attached Images Attached Images

Toms51,

If you are not seeing any play in the knuckles, then leave them be. The king pin pivots are replaceable, the only thing to be concerned about it the tie rod had been lose. If it was tight, then there should not be any issues. With the axle supported, try and wiggle the knuckle in all directions to see if you can achieve any un-natural movement. Put your money into tie rod ends instead.