Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project update.

Project update.

I received an email asking to share progress on my restoration if there was any. Well, I’d say I’m plugging away, slow but sure. First pic is how she arrived. Entire body except grill has been tossed. Second is where she’s at now, engine is at rebuilders- 6 months e.t.a. Third is today’s work, fashioning and successfully using my homemade axle puller, inspired by metalshaper on u-tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good! I'm going to have to sit down and make a copy of the axle puller. I saw that on metal shaper's video, and thought that would come in handy. Sure beats a slide hammer. Keep us updated when you can!

Hello again. Well things are slowing down with the nice weather and a finished 63 Buick convertible available but here we are so far. Space in the garage limits my work area so I decided to completely finish the back end and all is done except brake lines. Protection of that and a working platform now allow me to complete the frame, remove and rebuild the front axle and refresh/rebuild the transmission/crankcase. Word from the engine rebuilder is that he will start soon. Don’t need that till winter so good timing there.

Looking good Tom! Enjoy the Buick while the sun shines!

Nice work Tom! Taking your time makes for a meticulous project. That Willys is going to be a blast in the sun also. Especially with no top and, the windshield down!

Saw that wheel puller. Looks like it worked well. Have you ever tried one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. In the warranty shop we had OTC's but, I have this one. It is very good. I have yet to see a tapered axle a good tool like this could not remove.

Milestones

Hello all, been making fairly decent progress. Attached pictures mark an important milestone, the completion of the frame!!! I hated this part, doing it by hand. Clean, degrease, sand, rinse and repeat, and do it again, followed by two coats of POR15 and 2 coats of semi gloss black. Plus a completed front axle, ready to mount.
    Then we can work our way up. Engine being built in Connecticut. Forward we march...

Looking good!

When to start wiring

Hello again... moving along here and I’ve got a question. I pick up the engine and drop off transmission/transfer case this Saturday. Attached is a pic of the engine and my chassis to date. While I wait for the transmission to be rebuilt or refreshed I will finish front end, brake linkage and lines, and exhaust. Would this be the time to begin the wiring harness? If not, when is the optimal/smartest/easiest time to start that?
    Thanks
    Tom

You can run the tail light/brake light harness to the brake light switch. You can roll up the remainder to the junction block that goes on the fender until later when you install the body.

Hello, Tom, your project is coming along very well. I am in the process of going through a 57 CJ-5. I decided to go with a whole new body except for the grill and housing, but my engine was good and the tranny and case had been gone through, so now I have everything done but the painting and wiring. I am ready to set the tub on when it is ready. This is my first go at this so I am no expert by any means. What I have done is to take the dash and put in the gauges and wire as much of that as I can on the bench. I have strung my tail light and brake light wires through the frame to the back. I am going to wait until I get the tub on until I start wiring the rest. I just felt like it would be easier to do that since I am wiring from scratch. There really isn't a whole lot there anyway and I just thought I could do a neater job that way.