Thread: new member, old problem

new member, old problem

Hi all! I grew up driving a paper route in a ‘71DJ my dad bought from the post office. i missed the jeep, so i just purchased a ‘54 M38A1 with hard top from a certain classic car dealer in illinois. unfortunately, they do not have yearly safety inspections as we do in north carolina. the emergency brake was removed when last owner replaced engine and tranny with a chevy 4.3 and th350. anyone had luck installing an aftermarket e-brake to new rear hubs or does everyone still have the driveline shoes?
    Last edited by timebarber; 02-25-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add pics

Welcome timebarber,
    My first question would be is there still a transfer case installed? I ask to figure out how much room you are working with? Just as a guess, the drivetrain may have come out of an S10 Blazer, if it is still a 4X4, but if I remember correctly, the front drive shaft would have been on the driver's side, where the Willys would have been on the passenger side. If you are able, upload some photos for us to get a better understanding of what you have to work with. In the morning, I'll get some information on possible upgrades to the rear axle for a parking brake.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Welcome timebarber,
    My first question would be is there still a transfer case installed? I ask to figure out how much room you are working with? Just as a guess, the drivetrain may have come out of an S10 Blazer, if it is still a 4X4, but if I remember correctly, the front drive shaft would have been on the driver's side, where the Willys would have been on the passenger side. If you are able, upload some photos for us to get a better understanding of what you have to work with. In the morning, I'll get some information on possible upgrades to the rear axle for a parking brake.
    Thank you. I will crawl under tomorrow when i get off work. it is rear wheel drive only now. if the engine and tranny came from the same donor as the rims, it is a 98-99 gmc Sonoma.

good news is that the rear wheels have been replaced. i see a cut brake cable coming out of each, so this just may be do-able
    Last edited by timebarber; 02-26-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: misspell

Looks like they did a good job in transplanting the engine in. It looks to me that the rear end is a GM based rear axle, (judging by the Camaro wheels) so it will be easy to set up a parking brake. Included is a link to So-Cal hot rods shop, to get some ideas on what you can use to create a custom parking brake. Your possibilities are pretty much endless.

https://www.est1946.com/floormountem...itbylokar.aspx

From the first couple of pictures, it looked to me that they used a straight axle up front, and a purchased transmission cross member. Looks like they did the job right from what I can see. Any vibration issues while driving? With a driveshaft that short, it's a challenge to get the pinion angle just right to be in line with the tail shaft of the transmission. Just curious on my part.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-27-2019 at 11:00 AM.

i have not felt any vibration so far. thankyou for the advice and the link!