Thread: vin number paint removal

vin number paint removal

I have. ‘54 m38a1, and am attempting to remove the paint from the vend plate. does anyone know if these numbers underneath are stamped or printed? i don’t want to wipe the numbers off as well.

The numbers are stamped. Purchase a nylon brush from harbor freight for $3.99 or $4.99. The brush fits in a drill, and with light pressure will eat the paint right off. I use the brushes to remove all the paint from all my projects. Three brushes will do an entire jeep, top to bottom inside and out. I'll drop some pictures to show the results in the A.M. I'm not a big fan of sandblasting sheet metal, unless you use one of those dustless media, where water is used to help cool the metal.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-07-2019 at 09:27 PM.

i spent the past hour with a bit of carb cleaner, wrag, and elbow grease. the aluminum is so pitted i believe precious owner sandblasted everything cleaning the old paint off. i cannot make out anything on the aluminum

I had luck once taking the plate off, and placing a piece of paper on the back and rubbing a piece of chalk across it. You might get enough of a transfer to make out the serial number. It's worth a shot.

north carolina dmv inspectors.... dash plate is removable, so not good enough. he said he would get a new title filed, but just trying to keep the established numbers. transfering from illinois title. will give it a shot. thanks!

You can purchase a reproduction plate, then take it to a trophy shop and have the number from the title engraved in the new plate.

Pelago is in the final stages of his A1 rebuild. He is also in North Carolina, and is about to get his license plate. He might have some relevant advice.