Thread: Dana 44 questions

Dana 44 questions

Three questions gentlemen: what are the divots with what looks like welding slag all over the pumpkin near the shafts? See pic attached. They are everywhere. Looks like mistakes.... Second, more important, the pinion shaft yoke shown in pic #2 belongs on a 46 to 64 truck with a Dana 53 axle, this is acccording to KW parts site. Yet I clearly have a 44... and then related to that is the seal I am going after and what KW sent me. Pic 3... Again, very different. Does it matter?
    Thanks
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toms51 View Post
    Three questions gentlemen: what are the divots with what looks like welding slag all over the pumpkin near the shafts? See pic attached. They are everywhere. Looks like mistakes.... Second, more important, the pinion shaft yoke shown in pic #2 belongs on a 46 to 64 truck with a Dana 53 axle, this is acccording to KW parts site. Yet I clearly have a 44... and then related to that is the seal I am going after and what KW sent me. Pic 3... Again, very different. Does it matter?
    Thanks

Tom
    Tom, the "divots" you refer to are the weld plugs that were put in to hold the tubes from rotation at manufacture. Basically the tubes are pressed into the center section. There are hoes in the casting to allow the assembly line to plug weld the casting to the tube. This prevents any tube rotation under load. When we used to test axle housings under static fatigue, you could get rotation. Therefor we welded them. The old time drag racers used to try to weld the whole tube where it presses in. Not a good idea. Welding to a casting is tricky and marginally effective. The plug however is effective.

I think KW is telling you the yoke is cataloged that way. A model 44 pinion is a model 44 pinion. It takes a specific spline seal dimension in the barrel. The seal diameter and the spline are the most critical of course. The next thing would be the u-joint series (size). Just make sure it is correct for your driveshaft. I would guess if you have a CJ it is a Spicer 1310 series external snap ring. A 5-153X Spicer u-joint on the shaft. Measure across the caps and then, between the yoke retaining tabs. From the mid 40's to the mid 60's you most probably will find the Dana 53 contains a model 44 differential with model 53 wheel ends. It was a load on the axle thing not an input torque thing. So to make the 44 work in the 53 the wheel end capacity had to be upped. Eventually the model 60 was introduced as input torques went up.

I cant quite tell what you have there for a seal but it looks correct. If it fits the housing and the pinion yoke correctly it is all you can ask! KW has been very good on their part numbers for me. I would say it is correct.

Does that clear it up? Let me know,
    Bob
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-16-2019 at 03:56 PM.