Thread: New guy needs some help

New guy needs some help

Hey everybody, new guy here. I rode around in this Jeep as a kid and then didn’t see it for about 25 years. I came across it the other day and the elderly lady still owns it and I am interested to get some info about it but I have no idea . Any help would be great. Thanks

It's rough, but we've seen a lot worse. All of it seems to be there. Hmmm, looks like the start of a project.

Welcome to the group.

It is either a CJ-5 or CJ-6.

CJ-5's were 135 inches long, CJ-6' were longer (155 inches). The engine is the F-134 (4-cylinder, 70 HP). It looks like a 12-volt system. Original tires were 6.00 x 16.

It looks like you have a Jeep gold mine there. I think there is a red CJ-2 sitting in the background.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 03-13-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Yep there is a CJ2 sitting there also. It is pretty rough but for some reason I love it.

The previous owner was my neighbor when I was growing up and he was a damage control officer for the Missouri department of conservation. I’m remember riding in it to some of his jobs and he always said it was like a mountain goat with a motor.

Now I’m a damage control trapper and I haven’t had much luck with a couple utv’s The last few years and I thought about giving this old Jeep a try. If I can get it going good it would be perfect for what I need.

Thanks for the reply and the info. Now if I can figure out what year it is. I’ve looked everywhere for a tag and can’t find one other than one on the blower motor on the firewall and it just has a serial number.

What Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Curdog View Post
    Now if I can figure out what year it is. I’ve looked everywhere for a tag and can’t find one other than one on the blower motor on the firewall and it just has a serial number.
    The tag on the blower motor appears to be a VIN/Serial Number tag that has been moved from point A to point B and secured with a sheet metal screw vice the original 4 screws or brads in the corner.

I think the numbers are 8305 190162.

I am not sure what the "8305" indicates, it may be a paint color code. The next number "190162" I believe is the vehicle serial number.

CJ-5 190162 was a 1965 serial number. 1965 start was 175722 and close was 194162 - 18,440 built that year.

Welcome Curdog,

The tag that is on the blower is in fact the serial number tag, as LarrBeard stated. The first number set is the body designation, 83 = Universal CJ5, then 05 = Open Body. Then the next sequence of numbers would be your serial number. The link bellow is a bit confusing because it states that a VIN number was assigned after '62. 1962 through 1965 was a turbulent time with Jeeps because it was a period of transition between Willys and the new owners Kaiser. From what I can find, LarrBeard is correct in stating that your CJ5 is a 1965.

https://www.jeepfan.com/tech/decodin...ers-1955-1971/

I agree, a Jeep will beat a UTV any day of the week.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-14-2019 at 02:20 PM.