Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, Ross steering gear turns?

I understand exactly what you mean gmwillys. It is a "Band-Aid". It seems to have a good theory however. Unlike a steering stabilizer which is usually installed for the wrong reasons, this might provide a fairly good solution to what is going on. There are three machined "pads" on the back of the lever arm where they touch the adjusting screw during the steering sweep. On mine the middle wore down until correct adjustment made the end pads interfere. This device changes the design a bit. Now spring pressure provides the end play control for the lever arm. The draw back I see is the spring will always allow some compression of the shaft and hence end play. Under hard loads the end play is still there. If you use the O.E. parts and adjust correctly, the end play is going to be as set by the set screw regardless of load unlike the spring in the tough steer.

New parts set up properly is the right way no doubt, if you want it to perform the way it used to on rough terrain especially. I think though this device might be OK in what I am doing. I think this Jeep is done running on the real rough stuff! I know..... poor garage Jeep.

Update on Titesteer

I installed the Titesteer. After reviewing how it worked in my application, I am not going to use it. I did not drive the vehicle and, it is important to note that. As was pointed out by LarrBeard the Titesteer did improve his application in actual use. When testing it on the lift, you could see the lever arm moving in and out as it compresses and releases the spring holding the end play. As you rock the wheel back and forth as if to detect back lash, the Lever Arm moves significantly in and out. Almost as if the adjustment screw is not installed. I am confident the installation was correct. It is quite possible that the spring tension is enough that in actual use the vehicle will not exhibit the static "play" I experienced.

My two cents anyway!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-30-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Tite Steer

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I installed the Titesteer. After reviewing how it worked in my application, I am not going to use it. My two cents anyway!
    Every one of these old Jeep critters is different, and every one will act a little differently. You looked at it - and now you know it's not for you. Good deal!