Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radiator needs replacement

Thanks, those are all good points.

For what it's worth, Mac's Radiator in Oregon/Idaho will build anything you like in aluminum (or rebuild what you have, if possible). They have a radiator for a '47 Dodge Power Wagon on their sales floor that they say they built from 2015 Dodge truck parts. They also fab overflow tanks which I may consider when I get further along.

Update from my radiator shop

Similar info from my radiator shop. I have a very nice original CJ3A radiator. Brass tanks and all. It looks real good. No leaking stains, dents, bent fins etc. Just old. It failed the pressure check. Needs a core. I was told it could not be done for $500. My man told me to buy the new one from KW.

On another note, from what I have found so far the aluminum CJ3A replacements run the gambit from $100 to $500. None of them appear to accept the fan shroud. KW states on theirs the shroud is not required. I would agree that an aluminum radiator will certainly perform well with no shroud. I like the shroud however. I also like my fingers which at my age, tend to drift into moving objects. I am going to put on the all out effort to find an aluminum one that will take my shroud or, try to find someone who will re-core mine for a reasonable fee. I will call the persons mentioned above. LarrBeard, do you have a shop near you? I would drive it there if they could do it for an affordable charge.

This is a good read on the subject from another forum. http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Aya...num=1376456433
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-03-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Add

Another option could be to find a Fab shop that can make an aluminum shroud to fit the radiator.

I haven't made any calls yet but, just looking online, all the the CJ3A radiators have the top hose right in the middle of the radiator. That puts the fan shroud right through the middle of it. It needs to be on the drivers side of the radiator, the factory location. There are also no provisions for the shroud. I am not sure how the location would affect vehicles other than the CJ3A.

A fab shop would be a good choice. I have had the hose lines moved before. On a "Griffin" in a race car. I know you are familiar with that brand gmwillys, nice radiators! If I had the top hose moved and a shroud bracket fab'ed up, it might work out. There are welded core Aluminum radiators for less than $125. That leaves a lot of room for the fab shop.

Just got off the phone. This is looking like a broken record. It's $500 to fix it up. $500 for a new Repro. $110 to $399 for an Aluminum that may or may not fit without modifications. Looks like on CJ3A's extensive modifications. It also appears on some trucks and CJ2's they bolt right in.

Radiator Shop

You asked: "LarrBeard, do you have a shop near you? "

While the '48 was in the shop, the owner invited me to come look in a custom car hauler parked in the secure yard. He asked me to take off my belt so I had nothing that might scratch some paint work.

In the trailer was , as I remember it, a 1936 Supercharged Cord. It had an aluminum 12-cylinder Lycoming engine and a 10X gear driven supercharger. The problem was that with modern fuel it ran too hot and the owner needed a radiator that looked like the original but had about half-again or twice the cooling capacity. (By the way, the car looked like Clark Gable had just stepped out of it. I didn't scratch the paint, but I think I drooled on the leather).

But, the stuff that matters to us was that Mr. Murray, the shop owner, had sent the original radiator to a shop in Warsaw, Indiana to get a look-alike made.

Mr. Google says there is one significant radiator shop in Warsaw:

Ab & Tom's Radiator Repair Inc
    2314 W Old Road 30
    Warsaw, IN 46580-8774
    (574) 269-3485

Give them a call, tell them what you need. All they can say is "No" - and I suspect you've been told "No" before. If you decide to make a road trip, stop by New Haven and we'll look at the truck and get a burger at Rack and Helen's.

Credentials noted! I will call first thing tomorrow. I think it sounds tempting for just the ride and, I'll buy the burger! That is a truly bitchin' truck.

Truck Description

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    That is a truly bitchin' truck.
    There are times when it is truly just a cranky old b.... . But, when you're 71-years old, that's allowed, expected and tolerated.

Received a radiator from Champion today. Model CC60WL. While I had some reservations about fit, it turns out I had extra mounts on the radiator in the truck and that this one fit perfectly to the old , what I think are, original brackets. The angled lower outlet makes sense as it routes the hose away from the fan. The upper is offset but not by much and should not pose a fit issue. With a slight bending of the grill support rod, everything fit back correctly. Included a radiator cap and came to less than $250 with shipping.

20190405_170330.jpg20190405_170311.jpg

Don't know why the pics are upside down............
    Last edited by jeffjjeep; 04-06-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Update Champion Radiator

I also just found one that is a correct fit for my CJ3A. https://www.vintagejeepparts.com/pro...-Jeepster.html

It looks like I will be able to fit the shroud with a little fab work. I will update.

UPDATE:

Just received this Champion for my CJ3A. It looks perfect. Should bolt right in. Critical measurements match the original. Very nice. Good price. The water outlets are correct in location and size. The width is perfect for the shroud to slide right on. The height and bottom are nearly exact.I think these Champions are very well made. All welded. Included a nice cap. Nicely polished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-15-2019 at 06:40 PM.