Thread: Young People - Old Jeeps

Young People - Old Jeeps

We old fa..., er, folks complain about young people (OK, kids) who just sit around and twiddle their thumbs and play video games on their phones. Well, here is a group that is getting young folks involved in one of our favorite activities - getting dirty and learning about old Jeeps.

I received this in a Kaiser-Willys email this afternoon.

Historic Military Vehicle Restoration Youth Training Program in Dublin, CA
    By Rachel
    Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019
    The U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps have launched their vehicle maintenance and restoration training program on March 30th, 2019. They are in need of funding and have created a GoFundMe page where donations can be made to help get this program off the ground! The training program is located at Dublin, CA.

https://www.gofundme.com/cwparksvm

I went and looked at the site and this is a really good way to introduce young people to old Jeeps and to acquaint them with the military - something that is going out of style in today's society. We invest a lot of dollars in our Jeeps. Please consider investing in these young folks...

LarrBeard
    Senior Chief Electronics Technician
    USNR-Retired

I can't agree more. I wish the government would get together a program to restore some of their equipment through local high school auto shops, for training purposes. Here at our location, there are acres of wheeled vehicles that are in need of attention. There is equipment from the first World War through the '80s. That is just the self propelled items, not to include tanks, missile and artillery pieces.

Children typically have a desire to learn, but you have to keep their attention.

I can think of no better way to learn the basics. There was a saying o the wall, at a hands on style factory training center I taught at at in Michigan.

"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I'll remember. Involve me, I'll understand"

I would like to have one of these Co-operative shops for metal work close to me. I would love to learn the art of the English wheel, and various other specialty metal working machines. My father signed us up for a blacksmithing course. I enjoyed every moment of it. One of these days I will put down permanent roots somewhere to have another shop.