Thread: New to Jeep world

New to Jeep world

I'm a recent arrival to the Jeep world, only discovering the 1950s-60s Jeeps. Have some historical interest in the year 1965 , a major year at Jeep with the new DJ5 replacing DJ3A and the last Jeep wagons. Would like to own/drive an early DJ5 or late wagon. Some general questions:

Regarding the very late ('63-65) wagons and delivery models, the Wx4 page on VINs states all '65s are indeed leftover '64 dealer stock, renumbered with new 1965 VIN numbers by dealers with Kaiser Jeep approval. I seem to find this accurate. But another source claims the '64s and '65s(?) were assembled from leftover shells and parts after the Wagoneer/SJ was introduced, and the Standard Catalog has 1965 as a separate year for the wagon, as opposed to being simply selling off '64 inventory (though it notes 1964 and 1965 are identical). Most sources do have production ending in 1964 (exact date)?

Are DJs safe? Read stories of postal carriers "tipping" many times in their career, with the boxy shape and top-heavy load. The original (1965) DJ5 brochure has 3,200 lb GVWR and 1,934 lb curb weight, any details on the exact cargo volume (cubic feet)?

Thanks.

Kevin Wong
    Writer/Historian
    www.coronayard.com/aboutkevinwong.html
    Last edited by Main Line R36 Box Motor; 04-04-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Welcome to the forum Mr. Wong,

In reading some of your work, you have done well to represent your research. Very well done!

I will be searching for the information that you are requesting, and will post back the findings. I suspect it will be a day or so before I can gather enough information to present.

What I do know is that the '63-'65 wagon were not changed in any way. The '64-'65 model years were a combination of left over bodies and drive line components that were completed by the suppliers. The bodies would often times be stamped with a serial number that would not fall within a range of yearly production. The hold over pieces would be sold to the dealers as the next years model year. The tracking of serial numbers by Willys was near nonexistent, so it is very difficult to truly decipher exactly what one has. The same can be said about their engines. The foundry would pump out engines in mass quantities, then they would sit in a warehouse. When an industrial manufacture would purchase a block of engines for their equipment, Willys would just go into the warehouse and pull out X amount of engines and sell them. This makes the serialization mean near nothing. The foundry nor the engine department didn't keep adequate records. When Kaiser purchased Willys in '53, it basically took them 10 years to get everything corrected in regards to the serialization. Granted that most of that time was used in trying to keep each brands car production from going under. The Jeep brand was the only product that was pulling in a profit. More to follow after doing some research.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...ys-wagon-1962/

The DJ-5 was built by the Kaiser Corporation from '67 through the purchase by American Motors. The rear suspension was modified with the DJ5 to place the rear springs on the outside of the frame, to allow for greater stability, thus making the DJ less unstable for highway use.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-06-2019 at 10:22 AM.