Thread: Tacoma WA CJ-3B

Tacoma WA CJ-3B

Jeep has been on my family farm for living memory. As part of the grandparents estate, I am going to purchase it. Hauled it home this past weekend.

Can anybody help me with a fair price to pay to the estate pot? Everyone who visits the farm to buy other equipment expresses interest in the jeep, but not sure what they would actually pay once they've done their research. Given the interest, i need to come up with a fair price. I've seen shells listed for as high as $2,000 and functional vehicles listed as low as $7,000. With the dawning awareness of exactly how much I'm going to dump into this vehicle, I'd like to button down a price. Maintenance has been more reactive than proactive, but the vehicle has mostly stayed operational and a true farm work horse (off and on).

Mechanical generals: had the car driving last summer, but it won't idle. The carburetor was recently rebuilt, but has throttle/idle control issues (first task) Four mismatched wheels, seems upgraded to 12v for starter only, all the other electrical non-functioning (need to replace/update most of the console), no e brake, no over drive, cracked windshield, seats were used as a rat's nest, drum brakes...not sure of the 4-wheel drive status.

The jeep has some issues, but is still a gem. Mostly original. Body is in great shape. Any feedback GREATLY appreciated on what it's worth
    Jeep 1.jpg

IMG_20180520_134133.jpg

IMG_20180610_134236.jpg

IMG_20180610_134231.jpg

Sorry....i posted twice. I thought i messed my original post by uploading too many higher quality photos. So hi to all.

Welcome bozoli,

I personally would stick close to the $2,000 mark, with the intention that the Jeep will remain in the family, and be a living memorial. You will have money invested to bring it back to where you want it to be. The value of the 3B is increasing sharply, but for the majority of the people seeking them, is to cut them up or modify them with V8 power.

If the carb was recently rebuilt, then I would first look at the idle screw on the carb linkage. Often times it is run all the way in to ensure that the screw is not lost during the process. Second, ensure that the butterfly in the carb is installed correctly, and closes fully. Third, inspect the choke butterfly to ensure it is opening completely.

A local glass shop can set you up with a windshield, and an upholstery shop can work the mice out of the seats, both for a more reasonable price then trying some of the aftermarket replacement prices. The rear wheels are off of a Ford pickup, but I can not tell if they have the large center to clear the front hub or not. They appear to be, but wouldn't place a bet on it.

Thanks for the feedback! Having to learn this as i go, but the service manual is pretty awesome. Something is wrong in the throttle control portion of the accelerator linkage! Time to search the forums to see if I can't find an answer to my problems....else i may be asking for some photos.

The basics is where I will be starting first like the windhshield, seats and wheels. Appreciate the advice. Off to see what i can do about this linkage....

Often times the throttle linkage freezes up at the back of the engine block. If the body or engine has ever been removed, it is a fair assessment that the linkage was probably caught, or not quite lined up. I've done it myself, so have had to back up and fix it.