Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy - Have a lot to learn

I often do that if I run out of gas.... Or at least I did before fixing the fuel gage.

I'll give it a try next time it's having troubles starting after sitting. I got it out a little bit tonight and it started fairly easily. The starter is turning really slow to the point it stops and then it fires up.

Here's a couple more pictures of it if anyone's interested. Sorry for the one sideways picture.

As for seats - the seats in it have the sliding rails under them. If I got some regular low back seats for it would they bolt right onto the existing bases? Do you think they would still sit too high?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CMT-1109; 04-16-2019 at 06:20 PM.

The body is really clean! We like pictures around here, so show off as you please.
    The original seat frames are a fixed position, one size fits most design. From what I can see, you can expect around a three inch drop in your driving position. The seat frame bridges the fuel tank, and mounts to the floor up front, and on the floor behind the tank. The seat tracks you have currently would have to be removed. The passenger seat mounts with two pivot pints on the front edge of the tool compartment.
    As far as the starter, I would check the battery voltage draw. The battery may be getting weak, or the voltage regulator may need a little tweaking.

I've seen plenty of pictures of original seats but the frames are a little tough to come by and I'm not in the position to drop 6-800 on seats and cushions right now. When I drive it now, my head sticks out the top so I would definitely benefit from lower seats and seats that don't crowd the steering wheel so bad.

It's an 8 volt battery and I've checked it before and after starting it and it checks at 8v. The regulator pushes it to 8.4ish volts under throttle. Also, I keep it on a tender when it's not being driven. It might just require some cleaning up contacts and grounds. I'm not used to older vehicles but it seems to turn very slowly.

Thanks for the comments! My 5 year old step daughter absolutely loves it and asks to play in the Jeep and go for rides every day. She brings her random stuffed animals and waves to everyone we drive by. Haha

I was having a brain fade upon talking about the battery. You had already covered what voltage you had. A six or eight volt do turn the engine much slower than you would se on a 12 volt system. The 6 volt does supply a considerable more amount of torque.

When we purchased our 2A, it had bits of the original seat frames. I came across a set that were in tough shape. The legs were rusted out, so I found some pipe that matched. A little cutting and welding in and they are good to go. I found some boat cushions that looked and fit just right. We have been on the hunt for an original rear seat, so we can take the grand kids around. I ran across this add on ewillys this morning; http://www.ewillys.com/2019/04/17/fr...incoln-ca-200/
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-17-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Balky Starters, Kids and Grandkids

"The starter is turning really slow to the point it stops and then it fires up."

If the battery is charging to 8.4 volts at cruise, that's probably a sign that the regulator has been reset. I'd look at the battery voltage while it's cranking. The stopping just before it fires up and slow cranking make me wonder if there's not an issue with the battery or starter - and I'd guess battery first.

The starter spec for the Autolite MZ-4113 says that the stall current is 420-amps at 3-volts. If the starter is stalling and the voltage is 4 or 4.5 volts, I'd guess a starter problem. Check brushes and bearings. If it drops below 3-volts, I'd guess battery. I am assuming you have good battery cables - auto store 12-volt cables are marginal on 6 volt systems.

A rare possibility is a timing issue, it could be firing early on the compression stroke and stalling the starter just as it starts - but since it cranks slowly all the time - probably not.

My step-grand-daughter thinks the '48 is neat - but she doesn't want to drive it. You know you've made a hit when the grand-daughter wants your truck as part of her senior picture portfolio. Her brother will drive it on occasion. My youngest daughter (42 years old) is a pest - she wants to take it out and drive every time she comes to visit.

The youngest is right on the money! Pester away!

An 8 volt system. Until this forum I never knew there was such a thing.

Well... It happened. I drive the Jeep to the local watering hole and when I go to leave, it will NOT start. It barely cranked at all. I was finally lucky enough to get it started after hours of letting it sit. I sprayed some extra go juice in the carb and luckily for me it cranked just enough to fire once and that's all it took. I took it right home and started pulling cables off the battery and checking connections again. I replaced the battery cables with new cables and ends with 1g wire. I still need to replace the wire from the solenoid to the starter yet though.

My question for all of you knowledgeable folks - I checked the battery when my step son hit the starter switch and sure enough it dropped to about 4.5 volts. Is this a sure sign the starter is bad? Or could this just be a bad ground?

LarrBeard - I checked the volts on the battery when I hit the switch and it dropped to 4.5v. I checked the volts at the starter where the cable from the solenoid attaches and it obviously says 0 until you hit the switch and then it sits at 2v and stalls the starter. I removed the starter and the cable and I'm taking it to get tested and freshened up with a new cable also. How often does a solenoid go bad? I guess I could replace that as well to be on the safe side.

I see people talking about a ground strap. Am I supposed to have one? If so, where should it be? I can't find one anywhere which isn't helping my problem.

Originally the ground strap is a flat braided, exposed strap that goes between the front passenger side engine mount to the frame.the best battery cables can be made to size by your local heavy line truck shop, or you can custom make your own by buying a length of cable, then the ends you need and make them yourself. The larger the diameter or Gage if The wire, the better. The ends can be crimped on by using a blunt cold chisel and a healthy hammer. Either way you choose, add some shrink tubing at the ends between the cable sheathing and the terminal.
    Depending on the style of solenoid you have. An original manual contact floor pedal actuated switch is pretty much bulletproof. The contacts may get a bit green, but they shine up easy enough. A Ford external style solenoid tend to last a good while,as long as you don't jab screw driver to start the vehicle without walking around to hit the key.
    You'll probably find out that your voltage drop stems from your cables, and your starter will check out to be good.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-25-2019 at 11:52 AM.