Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New guy - Have a lot to learn

I don't have the starter back yet but apparently there's nothing wrong with the starter. Since I replaced the solenoid I'll throw the starter back on and try again. If that doesn't work, I'll have to add a ground somewhere and try again.

Side note - I found a 47 cj2a about 45 minutes away from me for sale. Definitely a project, nothing complete. Fresh motor (a bunch of new parts and motor needs put back together), rebuilt starter, new body panels, etc for $1200. It was a project that just got started and the guy lost interest. Do you think it's worth it to have a parts Jeep at the ready? It has all parts to completely rebuild minus the glass in the windshield and wiring.
    Last edited by CMT-1109; 04-27-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Spare CJ 2A

Quote Originally Posted by CMT-1109 View Post
    I don't have the starter back yet but apparently there's nothing wrong with the starter. Since I replaced the solenoid I'll throw the starter back on and try again. If that doesn't work, I'll have to add a ground somewhere and try again.

Side note - I found a 47 cj2a about 45 minutes away from me for sale. Definitely a project, nothing complete. Fresh motor (a bunch of new parts and motor needs put back together), rebuilt starter, new body panels, etc for $1200. It was a project that just got started and the guy lost interest. Do you think it's worth it to have a parts Jeep at the ready? It has all parts to completely rebuild minus the glass in the windshield and wiring.
    That's not a bad price.

Parts Heeps are worth a lot to have around. Even a pile of rust can yeild the asking price in parts. $1,200 is a reasonable amount these days. There are deals around, but they are rarely advertised beyond word of mouth.

The last major project that I had grown to two parts Jeeps, and one that was too good to part out. At $1,200, you could also finish it and sell it. Flat fenders are entering the realm of stupid money for descent examples. International Scouts and Ford Broncos have already reached that status.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-28-2019 at 08:04 PM.

An engine ready to go together is the biggest part of $1,200. The more I've thought about it, the better deal it
    sounds.

Bad news on both fronts...

I called the guy a couple hours later to purchase it and he sold it a half hour before that. Oh well...

My starting issue still isn't resolved. I'm getting pretty frustrated with it now. The starter is freshened up and a couple things were replaced, replaced all battery cables including the cable from the solenoid to the starter. I replaced the solenoid with a brand new one. Added a ground strap on top of cleaning all connections and it still just cranks very slowly a couple times and then stops. The only difference is now it clicks. I checked the voltage on the battery while trying to start it and now it dropped to 2v so I'm going to have the battery tested AGAIN!

I'll try to keep you posted if I figure out what the hell is going on.

AAArghhhhh ...

A. Big Bummer on the $1200 CJ!

B. When the battery voltage drops far enough, the solenoid will click and chatter because there isn't enough battery voltage to pull it in. Looks like I owe You a beverage ...

C. If the battery checks OK, where else do we look? Could it be coming up on compression on a closed valve? Arrghhh again.

It's sort of a bummer, but at the same time my garage isn't big enough for multiple projects unfortunately. I can use the money for my Grandpa's Jeep now instead.

I finally got it running tonight! Turns out, it was the battery after all. I got a new 6v battery and that thing is cranking just fine! It took quite some time to get it running though because of the fuel issue. The fuel issue this time was I am a dumbass and assumed the fuel gauge was correct. It's not... I was out of gas. Dumped some fuel in the tank and it fired up and ran for 15 minutes without an issue. The most frustrating part about this is I had the battery tested twice before today and it checked out "okay" according to the battery man. I went out on a limb and just bought another battery (6v) and kept the 8v there because they wanted to charge it overnight to make sure it really was a "bad battery". I look forward to getting my refund from them tomorrow.

I know I've said it a bunch of times, but thanks so much for continuing to give me ideas!

Good deal. To bring back a questionable battery to life, an old farmer's trick is to drop a baby aspirin into each cell. Top off the cells with distilled water, and place the battery on a slow charge. The aspirin will clean any corrosion on the plates in the cells.

Battery/Starter Marathon - Finish Line!

Quote Originally Posted by CMT-1109 View Post
    Turns out, it was the battery after all.
    If you leave the 6-volt battery in the system, remember that the regulator may have been jacked up - it won't be good for a 6-volt battery.

Now you know that your starting system is ready to go.

Fuel gauges and tank sensors are easy to find ... KWAS catalog page 209.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Good deal. To bring back a questionable battery to life, an old farmer's trick is to drop a baby aspirin into each cell. Top off the cells with distilled water, and place the battery on a slow charge. The aspirin will clean any corrosion on the plates in the cells.
    gmwillys... does this really work? I have tried the "turn them upside down rinse them out and shake out as much sulfate as you can", Refill and charge. I have had marginal success with that. Aspirin seems a lot easier!