Thread: T90 Reverse Idler Shaft Tear Down Controversy

Threaded View

T90 Reverse Idler Shaft Tear Down Controversy

I am right in the middle of the T90 trans on my CJ3A. I have it torn down inspected and parts ordered. I used the Service Manual for Universal Jeep Vehicles as a guide. It was fairly straight forward nothing unusual. A LOT of water damage.

The service manual page 168, indicates you "remove the reverse idler shaft by driving it into the case with a brass drift" A procedure I followed right down to the brass drift. I had no trouble. I drove the shaft out by completely driving it into the case and, removing it. All seems good.

As I was looking for parts on the WWW, I noticed a tear down article on another web page. The writers stated to NEVER drive the reverse idler shaft into the case as it will damage the case and will not come out that way? I am not so sure. Is the service manual incorrect? I wonder if I damaged the case? I then read in more than one forum about persons having a very difficult time getting the reverse shaft out. All kinds of ideas on how to perform this difficult task. All focused on getting the shaft out via the outside of the case. I had zero trouble driving it into the case with a brass drift per the manual. What gives here? Can anyone shed a little light?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-16-2019 at 06:46 PM.