Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 51 M38 - over my head

Your engine is an L134 in your M38, then the M38A1 had a F 134 engine. The difference is that the L head is a flat head configuration, with the spark plugs going centered vertical in relation to the head. The F head is configured with the intake valves over the head, under a valve cover. The spark plugs are angled into the side of the head. Both use the same military ignition sets and charging equipment.

Kaiser Willys will send you out a free catalog. I'll look to see if I can dig up the original posts used in compilation of the article.

thnaks - i do have the catalog and read your article - good stuff!
    so - I have purchased the rebuilt destributor and coil unit, new plugs and wires for the 24 volt waterproof set up - $$$ - not getting fire to the plugs at least holding one plug to the block to ground it

I did see some posts that suggest the firing order may be wrong - but I have that plugs in order that they were when I got it -

I think i am going to get the lead connector for the distrubtor and the voltage regualar harness and try that -

Firing order is 1-3-4-2 .

Here are some helpful links to look through when it comes to timing;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il7nKhbjwVo

With the key on, what voltage do you have at the coil + ?

24 volts to the distributor. The coil has a resistor built in to keep from burning up the ignition system. As we learned through Pelagro's exploits, the military distributor has to have air flow via the vacuum system to aid in the cooling of the distributor.

I only have a tester that shows current and not the amount - I do have current going to the wire to the coil, but I have a gerrry rigged connection there - going to get that connection

that makes sense - becasuse that assembly is water tight - I will need to see if I understand how that vacuum system is connect to the distributor

you guys have not idea what a novice i am ----- so i appreciate the comments

We all learn something new just about every day on these critters. None of us knew about the vacuum system cooling the distributor until doing some research on Pelagro's troubled distributor.

The distributor receives the vacuum through one of two sources on the water proof military systems. One source is via the vacuum pump that is mounted to the top of the fuel pump. Now with that being said, over time the fuel pump may have been changed out with a non double action fuel pump (an ordinary fuel pump). The vacuum pump portion of the double acting pump not only supplied vacuum to cool the distributor, but mainly to supply vacuum for the windshield wipers. Without the pump, you can still use vacuum off the engine, but when you accelerate, the vacuum decreases. When the wipers are in use, they will stop when you accelerate without the vacuum pump.

The second source for vacuum can be tapped into at the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. On your application, the PCV valve is located at the intake, directly beneath the carberator. There will be a metal tube from there that goes to the side tappet cover. This line can be tapped into with a T fitting to supply your vacuum needed.
    Don't be afraid to ask any questions that you may have. There is honestly no such thing as a dumb question. We are here to help, and learn some along the way. None of us are subject matter experts on everything Jeep. It's all problems and difficulties that we have run across on our own Heeps.

Thanks - I will circle back on this topic - as the fuel pump has been removed and willl likely going to get a new or rebuit one - but good stuff!

Right now i am just trying to fire to the plugs - I have ordered the voltage regulartor wiring harness - hopefully getting propper connections to the distributor / coil assembly will get my plugs sparking and i will go from there......

time & money...... - thanks for the info and your time

Sounds like a plan.