Thread: Getting the heart running

Getting the heart running

I’m back and working on my 1948 Willy’s cj2a it has been converted to the 226 6 cylinder super hurricane Willy’s truck motor it was running 2 years ago I have marvel mystery oil in each of the cylinders so they hopefully don’t lock up. It needs a new 12v distributor wires plugs and new oil filter, canister and lines. For some reason my grandfather did it have any of this on it. I took the theromostat housing off and have it soaking in acid. I looked in the part of the motor the anti freeze goes into and I guess since he ran water in it instead of antifreeze I was thinking about capping everything except the radiator off and putting acid in it and letting it soak for maybe a hour or so depending on the strength of the acid. So I’m really not to far from a running heart any thoughts of input I’m gonna go by this weekend and see if I can manually turn it over still I will order the oil filter, canister etc tonight
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a comment; I'd go easy on "acid". Get a radiator/ coolant flush, acid could be a bit aggressive on things.

Show is the rest of the critter.

I agree with LarrBeard. A good coolant flush will be a lot kinder to your radiator.

I was just talking about where the coolant goes through the motor with acid the radiator is actually new looking and perfect luckily. If y’all think a good radiator flush will work just as good I’m good with that to

Matt,

I would stick with the engine flush, but it would work best with a warm engine. I would be concerned about using acid, not so much with hurting anything in the engine, but more with the chance of getting it on you. There are products on the market that can disolve rust, without being so caustic.

Right thank you I will go get some radiator flush kits and try that thank you! I really don’t want to damage anything just get the rust gone so it sounds more logical your way