Thread: Tires,,, military style or aggressive mud and snow?

Tires,,, military style or aggressive mud and snow?

Always wanted and like the military style dreads the non-directional. I see they have them in rounded shoulder and square shouldered. I've never run these types of tires but I got to figure the military only uses the best. I'm looking at getting the set of the 8-ply square shouldered non-directional military style. Anybody have anything negative to say about the style of tires? How do they wear. This Jeep will be on the hills and not on the highway. Thanks shiny side up!

The non directional tires are great off road. On road not so much. A dry road they are fine, but rain and ice they are slicks. Now, some die hard folks that want the look of the N.D. tires, but want all year performance will have the tires siped by a tire shop. When the tires are siped, the solid center bar of the tread has fine grooves cut in the tread. When the tread is not in contact with the ground the grooves are closed up and not real noticable.

Being that you are planning to be in the hills, they will be an excellent choice. Check out on YouTube Willys at Moab 2019. The N.D. tires on most those Jeeps claw right over most obstacles.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-11-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks for the info. I was a little discouraged to hear they don't do good in snow. I usually hunt in my Jeep before the snow falls but I get caught in it sometimes.

Snow traction is fine, ice is the problem. The solid rib in the center doesn't provide grip on the hard, slick surface. If the tire can sink down into the surface, they pull like a tractor tire. A benefit of the N.D. military spec tire is that the side walls are stout. You can air them down to 10 psi or so for better traction. In my opinion, I would use the N.D. tires on anything that is used off road, with occasionally being used on road. Just remember the limitations of the tires.

Sound Advice guys thank you