Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best way to put one back together?

Interesting, I don't see the "lock nuts" on the remaining rod bolts in the picture. I wonder if a rod bolt was reused once two many. The crank throw looks OK in the picture. My first thought was low oil pressure number 1. But the crank looks OK so to speak. I did see a rod like that come out of a motor that went in the water. There was more than one however. And a split cylinder. I don't think it would be RPM would it? Can that little flat head rev enough to break a rod? The carb and general flat head design, seems to make it look self governing.

Can't wait to hear what it was doing when it went!

RPM will beat the rod bearings out to where it knocks when pushed, when the oil isn't completely full to cushion the slop.

I vote for hydro lock. The Kitty pilar that we had fail was due to the tech not checking for water in the induction. I had walked by the test cell minutes before and it sounded good. Ten minutes later, he came looking for me to say he had a problem. Water had settled down in the intercooler, and when he switched to high idle, it gulped whatever was in there. #1 con rod took a left turn out the side between the HEUI pump and the air compressor. The bad part of the whole deal was that a couple weeks prior I held a briefing on what could happen if all the water wasn't pushed out completely. Hard lesson learned by being lazy.

Water is truly "non-compressible"!

ouch painful