Thread: Make an M38 look like an MB

Make an M38 look like an MB

Interested in making an M38 look like an MB. Not worried about the filler cap being different but how hard is it to set the headlights back inside the grille? The bug eyed M38 look does not appeal to me. The one piece glass in the screen is also a bugbear. Can a two piece screen and frame be swapped in for the M38 one? Can the ax and shovel be fixed on if there are no indents in the tub? As you can probably tell I am not a purist I just want an affordable jeep/hotchkiss/vehicle that looks like the jeep in my heart. Olive green, jerry can, spare wheel, white star on the hood, etc,
    Help please.

With some fineness, you can swap an MB grill in place of the M38 grill. The only real hurdle would be the radiator mounting for the 38 is different than a MB/Hotchkiss body. The side indents are a minor difference. You can mount the tools to the driver's side, but you may look into either a reproduction body, or if you are handy, purchase an MB rocker/door opening panel and graft it in. The windshields will interchange just fine.

This may have just been a problem specific to my CJ3 but it had mismatched windshield frame, body and hood (from 3 different models) when I bought it. The glass was broken (cracked) on both sides because windshield frame didn’t catch the blocks on the hood when the windshield was laid down. Anyway, I thought it might be something to watch for if swapping out components for a different look.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Thanks for that. Some good news there. I think somehow that the ax and spade have been attached to the passenger side anyway.

On a MB, the ax and shovel are mounted to the driver's side. If you are good with the equipment being on the passenger side, I would leave it alone. You are not looking to be all that accurate to the original MB, and in my opinion, I would go that route. The essence of the MB will be just fine. I would keep all the M38 parts for the future, just in case you ever decide to sell the Jeep.

As 51 CJ3 stated, there will be some fitment issues as far as the windshield goes. The cowl mounts will be alright, but the hood blocks will need to be moved to ensure proper placement for the different windshield. An MB windshield is relatively shorter then even a 2A windshield. Often the taller operators sit with their head sticking above the windshield frame. A 2A windshield looks very close to an MB, but is a few inches taller.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks for all the info!