Thread: Drive Shaft Conversion

Threaded View

Drive Shaft Conversion

OK, now I need some advice.

The ’48 has the weirdest drive shaft arrangement WO ever put together. It is a two piece shaft with a center carrier bearing. The u-joints, as I have griped about a lot, are ball-and-trunnion joints; basically hogged out of premium grade non-obtainium in today’s market. (See the attached picture).

To keep grit and crud out of those precious joints, Willys used a flex boot. When we were putting things back together, we found rubber boots for the u-joints, but they were Jeepster boots. I’ve gone through two sets of them – so far – and I’m ready for a third.

So, I went over to Fort Wayne Clutch and Driveline today to talk about boots. Steve and Chris poked around under the truck for a bit and declared that finding a boot to fit the u-joints was going to be a real fishing expedition. Then came the “Oh By The Way”; there is enough play in the joints that they really should be replaced.

At the least, I would have close to $250 in just replacing the boots – and who knows how much more to find replacement joints. Plan B was a bit simpler – make a new one piece drive shaft with a slip spline and flange and use modern joints that can be serviced and don’t need boots; guaranteed not to rip, rust, bust, turn to dust or smell bad! Everything new for about $350. It would be a 62” shaft, 3 ½ inch steel tube.

That would also get rid of the carrier bearing that transmits all the noise and vibration up into the frame and cab. Now, this sounds almost too good to be true – I’m suspicious.

What questions do I need to ask about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images