Thread: Hello from NorthWest Ohio

Hybrid View

Hello from NorthWest Ohio

Hello Everyone, my name is Danny. I've been wanting an older Jeep for quite some time and I finally broke down and bought one. It's not as old as I would have liked but it but it will work until I run across an older one. Its a 1965 Jeep CJ5 with the flathead 4. I will have lots and lots of questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Danny!

Starting out with a CJ5 is a great start! The flat head is vintage CJ, so you are 1/4 of the way there to a flat fender. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Welcome to the Jeep world!

You may have already discovered the first two rules of Jeep:

1. Trust nothing you read. What you see is what you have.

2. Never say Willys never ..... _______________ (fill in the blank).

According to the Jeep Bibles, the CJ-5 was introduced in 1955 (yep). But - here comes the interesting parts:

A. The CJ-5, from 1955 to 1971 had the F-134 over-and-under valve arrangement engine, not the L-134 flathead.

B. The CJ-5 also had a one piece windshield with a top mounted windshield wiper. It appears that your wiper motor is mounted beneath the windshield. Hmmm ???

But, the CJ-5 was the first of the CJ's to have the rounded fenders, and your hood looks tall enough to clear the F-134 with the higher valve cover/intake manifold. I wonder if it has had an engine swap - putting an older L-134 in when the F-134 went to its final reward?

See rule 1. You'll learn to love it!

Let us know if you find a VIN plate with a number - that may give us a hint as to just what we have and when things went together.

Here's a pictureResized952019060395192740952093.jpg of the plate that I found when I was scraping "Lord knows what" off of the firewall.