Thread: Transmission advice

Hybrid View

Transmission advice

Hello all. I’m new to the forum but have been a willys lover for sometime now. I recently bought a 1951 Cj3a and I need some advice. The original engine (134) needs to be rebuilt, I purchased another engine that was already rebuilt but I think it came out of a DJ unsure of the year. There was some minor differences between the two engines. My question is will the transmission from the Cj3a bolt up to the engine of the DJ? Thanks ken

CJ-3A/DJ Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Kmorris View Post
    Hello all. I’m new to the forum but have been a willys lover for sometime now. I recently bought a 1951 Cj3a and I need some advice. The original engine (134) needs to be rebuilt, I purchased another engine that was already rebuilt but I think it came out of a DJ unsure of the year. There was some minor differences between the two engines. My question is will the transmission from the Cj3a bolt up to the engine of the DJ? Thanks ken
    If the two engines are L-134's (the flathead), they will swap. Over the years, the differences tended to be in the crankcase ventilation details and air cleaner differences. There may also be carburetor linkage differences.

It should be a pretty straightforward swap.

Thanks a bunch, puts my mind at ease

The DJ motor should have a throttle lock linkage cable on the carb for setting the speed with the P.T.O.. It might also have a double belt front pulley on the crankshaft. Some had a belt driven governor mounted on the motor. As LarrBeard said, it should go right in.

Since you have an old engine, you can use old parts if the ones on the new one don't fit!