Thread: Overdrive

Overdrive

What are the added benefits of installing a Saturn overdrive and are they worth the 1000+ in added cost

Overdrive Benefits

Quote Originally Posted by Kmorris View Post
    What are the added benefits of installing a Saturn overdrive and are they worth the 1000+ in added cost
    Jeeps are geared for low speed, high torque applications. They do not do well as highway speed vehicles. As early as 1946, when Kaiser-Willys introduced the VJ series of Jeepsters, the Borg-Warner overdrive was a popular option for highway vehicles.

In short, for a given speed you run about 20% lower RPM, or for a given RPM you run 20% faster. The Saturn Overdrive also works with all gears, "Second Overdrive" would be a gear ratio between second and high.

Is it worth the $1,000? It depends on what you do with your vehicle.

I building it as show vehicle that I will occasionally drive on the highway on the way to car shows but I can trailer it if I need to. I’m thinking it proble isn’t worth the added cost for just a 20% gain since most of the car shows are local

Highway Driving

Quote Originally Posted by Kmorris View Post
    I building it as show vehicle that I will occasionally drive on the highway on the way to car shows but I can trailer it if I need to. I’m thinking it proble isn’t worth the added cost for just a 20% gain since most of the car shows are local
    a

People can just

Wave as they go by .....
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 06-14-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Overdrives are nice, but they are a slippery slope to emptying your wallet. Not just the price of the unit, but the upgrades that you'll will likely want after driving a while with the O.D. Brakes would be at the top of the list. Even the best, and properly adjusted brakes are marginal at best at performing an emergency stop from 45 mph. 50 mph cruise will require you to plan ahead a bit more to ensure enough room to whoa things down. I say this to give you a little food for thought.

The next will be steering. If anything is worn or loose, it will be magnified with speed.