Thread: Air cleaner question

Hybrid View

Air cleaner question

What type of air cleaner do I use instead of the original oil bath? This is a 1967 F-4

Depending on how you want to go, here are a couple of options;

Removal of the oil bath cleaner, and an air filter that mounts directly to the carb.
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...wa1-carburetor

The other option is to convert your oil bath air cleaner to accept a dry paper element.
    https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=169343

Oil Bath Air Cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    What type of air cleaner do I use instead of the original oil bath? This is a 1967 F-4
    There was a discussion about oil bath air cleaners a bit earlier in the spring. Here is a link to the string:

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...=8043#post8043

I have had less than good luck with putting an air filter on top of the carburetor. Old Jeep carburetors are not designed to support a load cantilevered on top of them. The screws that hold the top are threaded into fairly soft aluminum. Shock and vibration of the top-mounted air cleaner can wallow out the screw threads and cause fuel leaks around the top of the float bowl. This might not happen often, but it happened to my ’48 truck with an L-134 back when I took it over from my Dad.

Another issue with replacing the oil-bath air cleaner is how to accommodate crankcase ventilation. In the original ’48 arrangement (which was long gone by the time I got the truck), the vent on the oil filler tube went to a nipple on the tube running from the air cleaner to the carburetor. In an air cleaner I have knocking around the shop, not only is there a crankcase vent tube fitting, there is a smaller fitting for who knows what?

So you can see, I lean toward keeping the original oil bath cleaner. But, I agree it is a mess at times – I almost always managed to spill dirty oil when I took off the bowl. The other problem is that many bowls have accumulated water over time and tend to rust out from the inside.

Being the lazy, sneaky guy I am – I have figured out a solution to both problems. If your oil bowl has pinhole leaks, line it with a couple layers of aluminum foil. Find a piece of foam rubber and cut it to fit in the foil lined bowl. Saturate it with oil. Incoming air will still hit the oily rubber before it turns the corner and starts back up through the steel wool serpentine maze. That will trap the dust almost as well as the oil puddle.

Clean the steel wool, get the birds and rocks out of it and reoil it. All of your vent hoses and tubing still fit, you don’t have an oil spill issue and the top will stay on your carburetor a lot longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images