Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Champion Radiator in a CJ3A

Champion Radiator in a CJ3A

A few shots of a champion radiator with the original fan shroud mounted. The Radiator had to be spaced out 1/2" closer to the motor, or it hits the front cross member and would set to high. Not a big deal. It does put the fan closer to the generator/alternator pulley. On mine, I had to trim it a bit. The fan also contacted the bottom of the shroud slightly. There was minimal trimming on the bottom of the shroud. The fan fits in nicely and pulls air quite well. This should be a very efficient cooling system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice setup!

Thanks LarrBeard! Means a lot coming from you!!

Looks great! You might need to draw everything out as a how too for anyone else who is considering the conversion.

I called Ledfoot Racing in California yesterday and asked if could modify the radiator for my Heep and they told me to contact Champion directly, Ledfoot is just a dealer for Champion.
    He gave me there number and it’s “Champion Cooling Systems” and the girl that I talked to was Very helpful, she said they can build anything I wanted. She said just email me a diagram of what I needed and they would send me a price to build it!!!!
    On my way to FANCY....Maybe...I haven’t seen the price tag yet
    Last edited by TJones; 07-02-2019 at 07:05 AM.

I am going to say they will be reasonable. From what I can tell their direct interaction with a customer, documented on a forum, resulted in a darn good radiator for my CJ3A.

It is a fantastic thing when you get linked up with a source for something, from a customer focused entity!

bmorgil,
    I can’t a response back from Champion and found another company in Chicago called Engineered Cooling Products and sent them my diagram and the guy emailed me back in 10 minutes. I’m debating on whether I should put a electric fan or not.
    Your thoughts, I’m leaving the original finger slicer off so I’m thinking I should put some type on it.

Just don't use a fiberglass fan. I had one on my 350 sbc in our wagon until a friend of a friend was killed while setting the timing on his son's dirt track car. He was rapping it up to clean it out, and a blade came loose and cut his jugular. Electric fans are nice, but when they quit when on a drive. Go with a good brand on any you choose.

TJ for sure it will need some kind of fan. My son has great success with his monster Jeep and a "Pusher" fan. It is mounted on the outside of the radiator and pushes the air through. This was required because there was no room at all between the motor and the radiator. It runs very cool even when muding hard. I ran a S10 V8 drag car in the 80's. It had a twin fan setup on the inside of a large Griffen radiator. The two fans ran independently on thermal switches. One came on at 160 and the other came on at 190.

Keeping in mind that a lot of modern vehicles rely solely on electric fans, it is very nice to have the fans run for a bit after shut down.

I am a "FAN" of the electrics! For sure the best way to go in MHO. There are some nice fans with shroud packages out there.

Oh my gm you have some stories...that sounds terrible, I just ate dinner and it makes me about half sick to even think about the mess that made.