Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Champion Radiator in a CJ3A

bmorgil the guy doing my motor told me for sure mount the fan on the outside pushing in. I do have the room but Chuck for sure said to mount it outside so it pushes towards the motor.
    We’ll see if anyone gets back to me and then it’s off to Summit Racing, I’m so glad they are only 2 miles from my shop Kinda handy but kinda expensive some times bc they are so handy and close!!!

It's no better here in Toledo. They deliver the next day!

I won't share the story about working for my buddy towing cars.... Three sheriff's deputies and half a dozen volunteer firefighters lost their lunch. Even the coroner went ewww. I do have too many blood and guts stories..

A pusher fan would be the ticket.

Push fan vs Pull fan

It is an installation/application issue for sure. While a PULL through system is better than a PUSH through system, they both have their place. If a lot of high speed driving will be the norm (above 40 mph or so) a push through system definitely gets in the way. The turbulence and blockage of the flow of air at speed is pretty big. It definitely shows up in the air tunnel. However if a lot of low speed driving is done, three factors come into play. First the turbulence is not a factor. Next the COLD air available to the fan is increased. And finally its a balancing act. If high speed driving is not the primary usage, and the cooling on a pusher set up is sufficient at speed, all is good. There is a minimal increase in overall drag at speed. It gets worse as speed increases.

A push through system should have minimal shrouding to work best. A pull through system requires a complete shrouding system.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-03-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Well I got my price yesterday from the place in Chicago and they almost took my breath away, $650.00 and 3 weeks to build.
    I think I’ll patiently wait to hear from Champion!!!

Yeah... That is a bit much for a radiator.

Definitely out of line for a Jeep street radiator. Here is a top of the line Griffen with a fan for that much. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-cu-00319

You may want to contact Griffen. There is no doubt they are very good. I have used them and seen them in many high performance and racing vehicles. They will make you what ever you want for sure. I think Champion might be a little slow on the response during the holidays maybe? I can tell you since you know a TIG guy, moving the inlet and outlet is no big deal.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.

I emailed Griffin’s today and also emailed Be Cool we’ll see what happens next.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by TJones; 07-06-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Well I heard back from Champion Cooling today and they have some of the Best if not THE BEST customer service people I have talked too in the 23 years I have been in business by far......
    I talked to a guy named Jeff for at least an hour about what I was looking for and he took their in stock radiator #5241 and made the changes I need for my Jeep to accommodate the motor swap to the Buick V-6 and gave me a price delivered to Akron for $449.00. I also talked to Griffin Radiator and she told me it would be between $800 and $1,200 to build a custom radiator to my spec, that was a no-brainer.
    Moving on to bigger and better things now.
    Thanks Guys for all your input on this.......

Wow Griffin must have thought you needed a 900 HP full track competiton cooling system! I can tell you , they are good!

It is cool that Champion stepped up to the plate. If they come through for you, I am sure this post will boost some sales. I love the Champion in my CJ3A. It went right in. It looks great. There was minimal work involved to make the shroud fit.