Thread: M38/M38A1 Oil Sender

M38/M38A1 Oil Sender

I am trying to wrap up a science project on M38/M38A1 Oil Pressure Gauges and senders and I have a question that no one seems to have asked and answered where I can find it.

In the KWAS catalog, there are two styles of oil pressure sending units offered.

There is a P/N 800217, a 120 PSI sender with a Douglas metal connector (early production) and a P/N 8376490 which is a 60 PSI sender with a "packard rubber connector" (late production).

The 60 PSI sender is a military part, MS24538-1. The spec control drawing for it calls out the connector as an MS33800-1 connector.

My question is this:

Will an oil pressure sender (MS24538-1) with the "packard rubber connector" hook up to a wiring harness that uses a with a metal shell Douglas connector?

LarrBeard, did you ask over on g503.com?

Quote Originally Posted by larrbeard View Post
    i am trying to wrap up a science project on m38/m38a1 oil pressure gauges and senders and i have a question that no one seems to have asked and answered where i can find it.

In the kwas catalog, there are two styles of oil pressure sending units offered.

There is a p/n 800217, a 120 psi sender with a douglas metal connector (early production) and a p/n 8376490 which is a 60 psi sender with a "packard rubber connector" (late production).

The 60 psi sender is a military part, ms24538-1. The spec control drawing for it calls out the connector as an ms33800-1 connector.

My question is this:

Will an oil pressure sender (ms24538-1) with the "packard rubber connector" hook up to a wiring harness that uses a with a metal shell douglas connector?
    i used the 0-60psi (also note that the original sender was much fatter and i had to modify the existingholder, was not going to buy a new holder for the sending unit) on my wiring harness i was able to use the packard rubber connector, seems that the harnes for this vehicle (1953) used this connector exclusively

Packard and Douglas Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    LarrBeard, did you ask over on g503.com?
    I went over and applied. Let's see if they let me in ... .

P. S. They did and they had answers for me.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 07-18-2019 at 08:13 PM.

I now have enough information for two papers about M38/M38A1 oil sensors and gauges.

But, the more you find out, the more times you scratch your head and ask ... "Huh".

I need some help from you guys who have M38/M38A1 oil pressure gauges.

These gauges have two terminals on the back. They may be Douglas connectors or they may be Packard connectors. One terminal is marked IGN or something to show it is the ignition terminal (usually the right hand terminal looking at the back of the gauge.

The other terminal is marked SEND or something to show it goes to he oil pressure sending unit.

The gauge case is the third terminal, ground.

I believe these are all balanced coil gauges and the sender acts as a shunt resistive element. More about this when I write the story later.

I need some data from more than just the one gauge I have as a sample.

Here is what I would like to have:

Gauge Number: Something like MS24541-2 or 7728883 - on the face of the gauge

Gauge Scale: 60 or 120 PSI

Resistance from IGN to SEND

Resistance from IGN to Case

Resistance from SEND to case.

I have the MS spec sheets for these gauges and their senders, but there is no spec for internal resistances of the gauges. I want to be sure I am not ASSuming something incorrectly that would make an **** out of me..