Thread: Found an 1959 M38A1 and pondering my options

Found an 1959 M38A1 and pondering my options

I found this about a week ago, have gone and visited it and taken a few pictures. it's really rough, has already been converted to 12 volt and has had a lot of modifications done to it. All of the data plates are gone which is a bummer, the blackout lights have been taken off and the wiring completly redone but done so poorly I'd need to redo it.

They want $800 for it so I've been lurking around this forum this week to see how difficult these are to work on. Doesn't look that bad, would just be a ton of work.

ksnarf.

Late M38A1

Quote Originally Posted by Ksnarf View Post
    I found this about a week ago, have gone and visited it and taken a few pictures. it's really rough, has already been converted to 12 volt and has had a lot of modifications done to it. All of the data plates are gone which is a bummer, the blackout lights have been taken off and the wiring completly redone but done so poorly I'd need to redo it.

They want $800 for it so I've been lurking around this forum this week to see how difficult these are to work on. Doesn't look that bad, would just be a ton of work.

ksnarf.
    I

If it has an engine, transmission, transfer case and differential, grab it and run. There are more than $800 in salvage parts there. If the engine turns over that's a bonus!

Ksnarf,

I concur with LarrBeard. A1s are becoming more and more popular every day. We look forward to hearing/seeing more about it.

What they said for sure.

M38A1 Project

Quote Originally Posted by Ksnarf View Post

ksnarf.
    Check the Restoration Forum Topic and you will find "Well, the darned thing is out..." giving an almost day by day account of Pelago restoring an early M38A1. He has over a quarter of a million views of his project - a real best seller!.

The M38A1 has two peculiarities that make it a bit bigger job than the CJ normal restoration. Engine and driveline are typical of just about everything, but the 24-volt electrical system takes a lot of dollars to restore it. Even if the 12-volt conversion is sloppy, that might be the best way to keep it unless you want to go all the way back to original. Metal and tub work are going to be tedious but routine - cut, hack, weld, grind, skin knuckles, cuss, trim to fit, etc. Most guys don't restore the fording system with all the vacuum and bleed lines.

You will find transmission, transfer case and differential issues. Brake lines are rusted out, new brakes and drums. Probably steering issues.

Yep, just another day in Paradise.

Let us know what you decide an post lots of pictures!