Thread: Power clutch

Power clutch

This question is for the advanced jeep mechanic. I want to relocate my clutch petal on a F head T 90 trains to the far left side with a heavy equipment full foot type clutch. Has anybody made this conversion.

What type of heavy equipment clutch are you thinking about? Anything can be modified to fit, but usually space and costs are the determining factor. A semi tractor clutch pedal would be something to look at. Depending on the brand of truck you look at, determine the configuration of a clutch style used. Early Petes, Kennies and Freights used pedals that came up through the floor, much like the Willys. Later trucks had hanging pedals installed. Most heavy equipment made from the eighties on, doesn't have a clutch at all. The have a detent pedal that dumps the hydraulic fluid to a relief, rather then the transmission.

To answer your question, you can purchase a hydraulic clutch set up from Tilton pedals. These are designed for use in race cars, and can be mounted wherever you choose to mount them.

Thanks Gmwillys for the link. They have clutch petals for all applications. Now all I have to do is find a set up that will allow me to move the clutch petal about 6" to the left. I will a add a large petal cover so that when driving with slick shoes I can depress the clutch with out depressing the break. That will give me room to add a large break petal pad. The basic problem is the small petals to close together for my wide shoes.

This might sound crazy to all who read this but, the first CJ jeep I have ever driven was this project 50' when I pulled it out yesterday! The first thing I thought was the pedal box is tight. The brake and accelerator are close. If you don't set those pedals up just right, you could mash the accelerator in the event the pedal goes to low. Tilton makes top quality stuff. Going with a hydraulic slave would allow you to release the clutch form anywhere with anything.

TJones has documented his use of remote pedals on his build on this forum.

You can spread the pedals as far apart as you wish, by mounting the masters where you want them.

Sebastian21,
    I think I posted pictures on my brake/clutch swing pedals and where I mounted them on the firewall. I bought them both from Speedway Motors, the brake was a dual master cylinder set up and the clutch was a single 3/4” cylinder.
    Here’s the website https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...unt,57508.html
    Last edited by TJones; 07-29-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks Gmwillys and tjones. This is the information I needed