Thread: Frame confusion

Frame confusion

I acquired a frame of what I was told was a 1958 CJ5. The serial number says it's a 1961. I started taking measurements and the literature says its a CJ5 or 6 that had a V6 motor. However, the battery tray is mounted on the frame and I have what appears to be motor mounts for the L-head 4. Anyone else run into this? Thank you

Welcome to the world of Jeep where we often find out that what we are told is not what something really is.

Almost in jest we say:

Rule 1. What you see is what you have. Trust little you are told or read until you verify it yourself. Unless you have a pretty good eyeball and know what to look for, a tape measure is the best way to tell the difference between a CJ 5 and a 6. It sounds like you've done that.

"I have what appears to be motor mounts for the L-head 4."

The F-134 was an option for the CJ-5 and 6. I'm not going to swear to the fractional part of a dimension, but when I put the F-134 into the '48 to replace the L-134, it fit up onto the same motor mounts. I don't have any idea if the V-6 fit the same mounts or not.

Frame confusion

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Welcome to the world of Jeep where we often find out that what we are told is not what something really is.

Almost in jest we say:

Rule 1. What you see is what you have. Trust little you are told or read until you verify it yourself. Unless you have a pretty good eyeball and know what to look for, a tape measure is the best way to tell the difference between a CJ 5 and a 6. It sounds like you've done that.

"I have what appears to be motor mounts for the L-head 4."

The F-134 was an option for the CJ-5 and 6. I'm not going to swear to the fractional part of a dimension, but when I put the F-134 into the '48 to replace the L-134, it fit up onto the same motor mounts. I don't have any idea if the V-6 fit the same mounts or not.

I actually did mean the F-134 as opposed to the "L" head which was discontinued in production prior to my year. I have the mounts for the 4 banger, and from the frame illustration I have for the V6; the mounts are different.

Frame Confusion -or "Framed Up"

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfireguy View Post
    I actually did mean the F-134 as opposed to the "L" head which was discontinued in production prior to my year. I have the mounts for the 4 banger, and from the frame illustration I have for the V6; the mounts are different.
    I'n, not a "little Jeep" guy, so I can't speak with much authority on things not common to the "big Jeeps", but I'm not terribly surprised that V-6 motor mounts and F-134 mounts are different. But, in the Jeep world - Willys-Overland "might" have made a one-size fitted all mount. We've also learned to be careful to not say "Willys would have never done that...".

So, now you have a frame to either start a project to build a CJ-? F-134 or a frame to trade up to the V-6 frame.

Again, not at all unusual for folks not to know just what a particular piece of Jeep actually is, Most times there is no malice or deceit intended, just lack of knowledge.

Good luck.

Welcome Oldfireguy.

What you most likely have is a hold over frame from the previous production year. Willy's was known for having leftovers that were used up before the new models were started. Serial numbers were assigned after the start of the beginning of the build, so a frame that is serial stamped as a '61, could actually be a '60, or even a '58. This all depends on the configuration of the build schedule.