Thread: 1959 Willys Pickup Idaho

Post 1959 Willys Pickup Idaho

Hello All,

I have a 1959 Willy’s Pickup that I purchased from a guy who restored it in Oceanside, Ca approximately 8 years ago. In 2013 I bought a ranch in the mountains of Idaho where the truck currently resides. My goal is to use it as an all-around utility vehicle. In the good weather months for ranch work and in the winter to clear snow off my very lengthy driveways with a Meyers snow plow attachment that I’m going to modify and install. Up until a few months ago I periodically used it for light hauling and to run up & down the county roads around my place until one day when it started sputtering and running poorly. I found that the carburetor was worn & sucking air, so I replaced it. I'm yet to prime it and attempt to get it running for the first time after the carb replacement. When the sputtering initially occurred, I was stuck on a county road with no help, so I used the starter in 2nd gear cranking the ignition to get it up over a small grade in order to coast it into my barn. When I finally got it into my barn I noticed that the starter cranked, and the engine started and ran but truck wouldn’t move as it did prior by cranking the ignition in 2nd gear as I had previously done. Does anyone have a solution? I fear that I may have burn out the clutch, but I never smelt and odor of a burnt clutch. I would greatly appreciate some experienced incite.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You noted "..but truck wouldn’t move as it did prior by cranking the ignition in 2nd gear .."

Most of us who have run around in trucks have had to pull it around with the starter and 2nd gear at one time or another. I can't really see how that would hurt the clutch. The starter probably wasn't all that happy with you afterwards though, but it will get over it.

From 2000+ miles, we're just going to guess with you. While you were lugging it along, you were not generating any oil pressure. Not a good condition for bearings.

I'd go ahead and get the new carburetor settled and just run it. Look at oil pressure. Listen for unpleasant noises. If everything sounds OK, run it around a bit and give us some more information about how it moves or doesn't move now.

Oh, by the way - nice color!

Cpauley, hello! What do you mean "wouldn't move"? If you have it in 2nd gear with the clutch engaged (hooked up) and you crank it, it will will not crawl forward? However it will crank and fire the motor?

Welcome Cpauley!

Let's look at simple things first:

1. Did the transfer case get knocked into neutral? If so, no matter what gear the trans is in, no movement will happen. Also check the front wheels by placing the transfer case in low range and four wheel drive. Ensure that if your truck has lock out hubs that they are engaged.
    2. When you rolled the truck into the barn, did you use the service brakes to slow down, or compression off the engine? Dumping the clutch when free wheeling can shear the rivets that hold the clutch material to the disk. Albiet that is a rare occurrence, but have seen it happen twice.
    3. Have you done a compression check to ensure that everything is good with the engine itself?

Transfer Case in Netural

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Cpauley, hello! What do you mean "wouldn't move"? If you have it in 2nd gear with the clutch engaged (hooked up) and you crank it, it will will not crawl forward? However it will crank and fire the motor?
    I think I must have mistakenly knock the transfer case into neutral, therefore it wouldn’t move. I’m going to finish getting the new cab linkage hooked up tomorrow. Then I can test things out to see if I can get it moving. I’ll keep the forum updated. Thanks for your help...

I think I may have knock the transfer case into neutral. The hubs are engaged. I used the service brakes to stop the truck when I coasted it into the barn. I’m going to finish hooking up the linkage on the new carb tomorrow to see if I can get it running. Then I can test things out. From the looks of things I don’t think I did any real damage. Time will tell. Thanks for your help...

Keep going Cpauley, it will be moving soon!

Small world Cpauley, I was just in Oceanside today.