Thread: 1959 Willys Pickup Idaho

Threaded View

Post 1959 Willys Pickup Idaho

Hello All,

I have a 1959 Willy’s Pickup that I purchased from a guy who restored it in Oceanside, Ca approximately 8 years ago. In 2013 I bought a ranch in the mountains of Idaho where the truck currently resides. My goal is to use it as an all-around utility vehicle. In the good weather months for ranch work and in the winter to clear snow off my very lengthy driveways with a Meyers snow plow attachment that I’m going to modify and install. Up until a few months ago I periodically used it for light hauling and to run up & down the county roads around my place until one day when it started sputtering and running poorly. I found that the carburetor was worn & sucking air, so I replaced it. I'm yet to prime it and attempt to get it running for the first time after the carb replacement. When the sputtering initially occurred, I was stuck on a county road with no help, so I used the starter in 2nd gear cranking the ignition to get it up over a small grade in order to coast it into my barn. When I finally got it into my barn I noticed that the starter cranked, and the engine started and ran but truck wouldn’t move as it did prior by cranking the ignition in 2nd gear as I had previously done. Does anyone have a solution? I fear that I may have burn out the clutch, but I never smelt and odor of a burnt clutch. I would greatly appreciate some experienced incite.
    Attached Images Attached Images