Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 1970 Jeep J-200

The frame is 10" shorter now. I still need to add a fish plate to the back side but I ran out of steel.

20200524_193433[1].jpg

tapatalk_-584432652_378x504[1].jpg

Huge progress.

Well, I took a few steps backwards over the weekend. After I installed the transfer case it hung down past the frame about 2". So I decided to take it back out and re-clock the 205 portion up. Now nothing hangs down past the frame, but it did infringe on my floor pan space. I'm ok with that as the ground clearance is more important.

Also, a few days a go I manually turned the engine over to install the torque convert bolt and I noticed brown water came out of the exhaust. So I pulled the header and spark plugs out on that side and spun the engine using the starter and shot brown water across my garage lol. So, after I got the transfer case reinstalled I decided to pull the head off to take a look. It all cleaned up ok so I just replaced the head gasket and put it back together.

I don't why the first 3 pictures flipped........

Here you can see it hanging down:
    Attachment 6118

Now it's gone:
    Attachment 6119

Floor modification required:
    Attachment 6120

Water squirt:
    Attachment 6121

Inside:
    20200606_173819[1].jpg
    Last edited by Trailabite; 06-08-2020 at 11:51 AM.

I think an oil change is in order as well!

How we doin on this thing? Hope you didn't drag it off behind the shed...

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    How we doin on this thing? Hope you didn't drag it off behind the shed...
    Not yet lol. Taking a step back and

Quote Originally Posted by Trailabite View Post
    Not yet lol. Taking a step back and
    I just realized that half of my comment is missing. I wasn't even drinking lol.

What I was saying is that I'm taking a step back to re-measure and re-think things. I have been playing with a 4 link calculator trying to figure out where all of the control arms are going to land. Rotating the transfer case so high changed the location of my front drive shaft a little.

A step back never hurts, just don't be like me and step all around it, and not pick up a tool. Now that I have the driver's side floor board primed, so it is a matter of buckling down and start trimming.
    I can't wait to see your project over here on the mountain.

Made perfect sense. The way I understood, you didn't throw it out yet, check back later. Lol. I was just thinking today how fortunate I was to want, and to procure, a basically original truck. The geometry or factors on the simplest change are immediately complex, meaning unpredictable. Noodling the problem is good. I've been binging Jay Leno garage. Funny, he has the same exact issues we all do. His might cost more, but he was driving his Fairlane or whatever and it was heating up. Because he reduced the filters. Draw in hot air. Thing stalls on him at a stop. So he had the guy fab an intake cooler. Why did he reduce the filter size? To keep the hood normal looking. Another guy is a rock crawler and built himself a, I dunno, tarantulas jeep that extends on all extremities hydraulically so he can conquer some desert canyon body ever went up before. You are in good company. Can't wait to see the progress

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Made perfect sense. The way I understood, you didn't throw it out yet, check back later. Lol. I was just thinking today how fortunate I was to want, and to procure, a basically original truck. The geometry or factors on the simplest change are immediately complex, meaning unpredictable. Noodling the problem is good. I've been binging Jay Leno garage. Funny, he has the same exact issues we all do. His might cost more, but he was driving his Fairlane or whatever and it was heating up. Because he reduced the filters. Draw in hot air. Thing stalls on him at a stop. So he had the guy fab an intake cooler. Why did he reduce the filter size? To keep the hood normal looking. Another guy is a rock crawler and built himself a, I dunno, tarantulas jeep that extends on all extremities hydraulically so he can conquer some desert canyon body ever went up before. You are in good company. Can't wait to see the progress
    lol, well......I also have a 2016 JKU (4 door jeep) and I keep looking at this LS engine and one ton axles for the jeep truck and wonder what they would like sitting in the JK instead. It doesn't hurt to wonder. Back to the truck - this doubler could be the death of me. The more I look at it the more I think I need to clock it back down to about half way to where it is now. I have two potential issues. One is, it's probably going to interfere with the passenger seat and the other is, I think it's going to cause a drive line problem (binding issue) with my front drive shaft when the axle droops. The problem with clocking it back down is one of the shifting arms sits right where the transfer case vent is. So I would have to plug it and drill-and-tap a new spot for the vent, which is not the end of the of the world. If I can figure out how to make the passenger seat fit around it I might be able to use a 2 piece drive shaft for the front. No matter what its going to be more work than planned. If it wasn't so darn heavy it wouldn't be huge issue lol.
    Last edited by Trailabite; 06-25-2020 at 08:26 AM.