Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1970 Jeep J-200

1970 Jeep J-200

I just purchased this beast a few weeks ago. I'll probably get flamed, but my plans are to build this into a slightly street-able rock crawler. I was searching the internet looking for parts and came across this forum and figured I would drop in.

Here's a couple pic's:

Truck2.jpg

Truck1.jpg

No flames here! Ask questions, we give free advice, worth every cent you'll pay for it.

I won't have any questions about the truck I don't think, given that it's not going to be a restoration project. Somebody has already changed the running gear. Front axle is a D60 and the rear is a D70HD, th350 tranny with a chevy np205 transfer case). They did reuse the leaf springs though but, I plan on removing the those and installing a 4 link set up on the front and rear. One of the inner fender wells is rusted out and needs to be replaced and the front windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced. The floor pans are rusted out as well and have been replaced with old license plates and stop signs lol. I was able to find floor replacement pans online for these. But, I am struggling with finding the inner fender well and a windshield, in case anyone reading this might have one.

*EDIT* So I do have a question! It looks the Jeep Wagoneer's and the J series truck share the same parts as it pertains to the front of each from like '63 up into the '70's. Can someone confirm this?
    Last edited by Trailabite; 08-13-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added a question

Seeing what it will look like with 42's underneath it.

Front:
    Front 42.jpg

Rear:
    Rear 2.jpg

Welcome Trailabite!
    Jeeps were meant to be custom from the very beginning. Your vision for the perfect ride sounds like a winner to me. We like original examples, but customs are equally impressive.

I did a little work to the beast. Took out the motor/tranny and sold them. Started removing some of the rusted out floor boards and now I don't much left lol.

In one of the pic's you can see a support bracket for the rear cab mounts. Does anyone know where I can find an aftermarket one? I have new floor pans coming, but I'm going to need that bracket.

The old floor board:
    20191019_161137[2].jpg

20191019_153256[1].jpg

20191019_153304[1].jpg
    Last edited by Trailabite; 10-21-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: edit

In a quick search, I didn't see anything outside of the floor pans. You might be better off salvaging what is good, and fab up the remainder. It isn't too hard if you have the basic shape. It doesn't look terrible.

Just curious what you think about doing rat rod approach..? Any metal piece that fits for the floor? Diamond plate bent to fit? I think in your range of years you should be able to locate a wagoneer or j series floor. Very great nose on your build!

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Just curious what you think about doing rat rod approach..? Any metal piece that fits for the floor? Diamond plate bent to fit? I think in your range of years you should be able to locate a wagoneer or j series floor. Very great nose on your build!
    I found/ordered replacement floor pans on line. Although, diamond plate would have been plenty strong enough.

Okay so what's the thought on getting a donor?