Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 1970 Jeep J-200

So I tried welding this up and it really didn't work very well. I was able to get a few spots (about 8 to 10 spot with 3 to 4 inch welds) welded and I'm hoping that seam sealer will fill in the gap. I had my welder set on the lowest setting and as soon as the wire would hit the metal it would burn a hole through it. The metal on this panel is very thin for some reason. I took a flap disc to clean off a spot and it burned a hole thru the metal as well. If it doesn't hold I guess I could weld on a piece of sheet metal about a 1/2" wide all the way around.

20191207_114614[1].jpg

20191207_114622[1].jpg

I would cut out the thin strip and weld in the 1/2". Then you'll have a good, solid repair.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I would cut out the thin strip and weld in the 1/2". Then you'll have a good, solid repair.
    This would take some skills that I don't have but, it is probably what should be done.........This is supposed to be an off road rock crawler build, not a restoration lol........dang it, now I feel like this is what I need to go ahead and do.......more pics to follow!

Bring it on over if you ever go rock crawling on the mountain in Jacksonville, AL. Just an idea if you don't want to tackle it.

Bring it on over if you ever go rock crawling on the mountain in Jacksonville, AL. Just an idea if you don't want to tackle it.
    If what I've done already, breaks then I will cut out a section and weld in new metal. I took a hammer and smacked around on the welds that I did and nothing came apart. A hammer test is not the same as being out in the woods or on a pile of rock all twisted up and everything flexed out but.....we'll see. I will be installing a roll cage tied to the frame as well and that should prevent the frame and body from twisting and flexing as it normally would.

A roll cage to the frame gets the Job done. Attached is a pic of the 2019 parade chase vehicle LarrBeard and I had just in case! A champion Rock Crawler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the weekends, folks come from far and wide to run at Coccoloco Mountain OVR park. There are insanely expensive custom buggies to the low buck Bronco II with the winders knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    A roll cage to the frame gets the Job done. Attached is a pic of the 2019 parade chase vehicle LarrBeard and I had just in case! A champion Rock Crawler.
    Nice jeep.

I sold this one last year. 2005 TJ. Pic is from one of our trips out in Moab. We bought this one new off the lot and through the years my wife became very attached to it lol. She still gives me crap for selling it.

Red Jeep.jpg

This is the jeep I have now.

Black Jeep.jpg

On the weekends, folks come from far and wide to run at Coccoloco Mountain OVR park. There are insanely expensive custom buggies to the low buck Bronco II with the winders knocked out.
    I'm with a club called Georgia Trail Riders and we do rides once a month. We hit Choccolocco in January and then again in September.

I'm located about three miles from the gate. We'll have to get together for a drink at the camp.