Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Jeep J-200

Is the market tight there? Houses in az multiple bidders, very tight market. Houses are the new thing to be hoarded up! Good luck with the search.

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Is the market tight there? Houses in az multiple bidders, very tight market. Houses are the new thing to be hoarded up! Good luck with the search.
    The realtor listed our house at 9pm on a Wednesday night. Within 30 minutes she sent a text for a showing at 11 am the next day. We ultimately received 6 offers on our house and within 20 hours had a sales agreement along with 2 back-up offers. All 6 offers were above our asking price. And....it's not much different up in TN. We got with a local realtor there and made a list of homes to go look at and they were going under contract as we were driving to see them. But, we got lucky and a house hit the market late Saturday afternoon and as soon as we walked in my wife (the one who must be obeyed) said this is the one I want, so we made an offer and they accepted it. I think because we made the offer later Saturday and only gave them 12 hours to accept it and there was no traffic on Sunday worked out well. We close on our house in GA on 12/10 and then close in TN on 12/11.

Good deal! Congratulations on everything working out.

Awesome and congratulations. Willy's Jeep people finding a way. Good to know it's possible.

Just checkin in. We are finally moved in. It didn't all work out like we had hoped but, it's over now. Originally, we were supposed to close on our house in GA on 12/10 and then close on the new house in TN the next day 12/11. Everything was going great. A few days before closing in GA we had movers come and pick up everything on 12/8. On 12/9 the attorneys let us sign our portion of the paper work so we did and headed on up to TN. The new buyers were singing their paperwork @ 3pm 12/10. I'm sitting in the motel room and my realtor calls 3:30pm and I'm think its a congrats call. Nope, she called to let me know that the buyers couldn't close on the deal. Apparently, the guy lost his job 2 days before closing and didn't tell anyone until they were sitting at the table signing papers. So I had to call my TN realtor and let her know what was going on and so we had to delay my closing on the TN property, I'm in a motel and had a moving van heading up our way. We went to bed that night wondering what we were going to do lol. Luckily, the guy I was buying the house from in TN felt sorry for us and let us go ahead and early possession of the house. I had to pay him 2 months rent with a promise to close by the end on January. We were able to get the GA under contract before that weekend was over and closed on both properties on 1/15/21.

So, not much has happened with the truck lol. I have started building new shelves in the garage, getting ready to run an outlet for the welder and plasma cutter. Also, after talking with a couple of fab guys and a shop I've been convinced that I need to either build a new frame or buy a newer frame. The concern is having a 50 year old frame holding up to all the flexing it will encounter climbing rocks. I was already question the frame myself when I installed the engine, thinking I'm gonna twist this frame just by flooring it lol. I have talked with 2 guys that build rock crawlers in their own garages and one shop and all of them are a year out or more with other projects so it looks like I may try and build a from myself.

Ain't nothing ever easy. Glad you were able to work it out the way it sorted out.

A more modern frame would be a good choice to base your truck off of. A good foundation for your build will pay off in the long run.

I like the first steps in the new home. Shelves in the garage and a welder outlet. My wife understands completely, I hope.

I am assuming you are using a roll cage in this build. When you tie the roll cage to the frame, things change dramatically in the stress the frame has to encounter, especially twisting motions. The cage when correctly installed and braced, will make that thing real strong with whatever you do for the "frame". The M.R. Garage "Franhk en steen" has a Scrambler on a stock frame with a good structural cage. I have seen it do some things in the rocks and such that would have popped the body off anything without a cage. It didn't even squeak. The cage is the secret.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I like the first steps in the new home. Shelves in the garage and a welder outlet. My wife understands completely, I hope.

I am assuming you are using a roll cage in this build. When you tie the roll cage to the frame, things change dramatically in the stress the frame has to encounter, especially twisting motions. The cage when correctly installed and braced, will make that thing real strong with whatever you do for the "frame". The M.R. Garage "Franhk en steen" has a Scrambler on a stock frame with a good structural cage. I have seen it do some things in the rocks and such that would have popped the body off anything without a cage. It didn't even squeak. The cage is the secret.
    Yes, there will be a cage. So, the front of the frame is boxed in (factory) and then the back half is C channel. I though about cutting the C channel off and finish with a 2x4 tube or round tube.

Good to hear it all worked out. Sort of a don't envy you that night in the motel 6; admire you lots for working it all out. I went house looking yesterday and came home with an idea to change what we were looking for. The Mrs sorted that out for me right quick. I now know exactly what we want. Two things though. First, climbing rock walls in a J Truck. Well, that will require a ride along when it happens, with pictures! Second, what options do you have getting a donor truck for the frame? I'm just curious what the finances are, build your own, move your truck into an old but better frame, versus paying for a new frame. Hell of a two months man! Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Good to hear it all worked out. Sort of a don't envy you that night in the motel 6; admire you lots for working it all out. I went house looking yesterday and came home with an idea to change what we were looking for. The Mrs sorted that out for me right quick. I now know exactly what we want. Two things though. First, climbing rock walls in a J Truck. Well, that will require a ride along when it happens, with pictures! Second, what options do you have getting a donor truck for the frame? I'm just curious what the finances are, build your own, move your truck into an old but better frame, versus paying for a new frame. Hell of a two months man! Welcome back.
    lol, women have that thing called Voodoo Punani, it keeps us men folk under a spell!

As far as finances go, I could have someone (shop) build it but, I started this to build it myself and learn as a I go and after talking with a couple of shops I may have to do it myself anyways. All the shops are a year out or longer taking on any new projects. I did go ahead and price some rectangular steel, I can get the material for just under $300. By the way, price of a 2 x 4 was something like $.40/ft in December and is now around $9/ft.