Thread: Re: 51 Willys PU

Re: 51 Willys PU

Just buying a 53 Willys PU. It has the original 4 cyc F-134 engine. What grade of gas should I be putting in this thing?
    Pretty basic huh?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onalaska53PU View Post
    Just buying a 53 Willys PU. It has the original 4 cyc F-134 engine. What grade of gas should I be putting in this thing?
    Pretty basic huh?
    Thanks
    Welcome Onalaska53PU, yes a basic question! A good one though. Any of today's fuels has a high enough octane rating. That motor was designed to run on octane well below current pump 87 octane. The only thing you really need to worry about is if it contains Ethanol or any alcohol. Alcohols are very hard on old technology rubber, gaskets and seals, found in older fuel systems. I travel a ways to pay $3.50 a gallon for "Recreational" fuel. It does not contain Ethanol. A lot of people don't worry about it. I have had some trouble with vehicles that sit with Ethanol laden fuel in them and, don't have modern fuel systems. The hoses swell up and things get mushy.

Good Luck with your project!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-11-2019 at 03:33 PM.

In our corner of the country, we have a few gas stations that offer 100% gasoline. As Bmorgil stated, ethenol is bad news to the rubber hoses, fuel pump, and carb. The alcohol will cause corrosion within the aluminum housing. You can purchase anti ethenol additives that are supposed to lessen the effects of the alcohol.

Another thing to remember with original vintage engines, is that they were designed to run on leaded gas. Unless the engine/head have been machined with hardened valve seats installed, you should run a lead additive. The lead cushions the valves as they close on the seats. The additives are available at most parts stores.

53 Willys PU

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    In our corner of the country, we have a few gas stations that offer 100% gasoline. As Bmorgil stated, ethenol is bad news to the rubber hoses, fuel pump, and carb. The alcohol will cause corrosion within the aluminum housing. You can purchase anti ethenol additives that are supposed to lessen the effects of the alcohol.

Another thing to remember with original vintage engines, is that they were designed to run on leaded gas. Unless the engine/head have been machined with hardened valve seats installed, you should run a lead additive. The lead cushions the valves as they close on the seats. The additives are available at most parts stores.
    Thank you for all the info. I'll scout around western Washington for the right gas and I'll make sure to get some lead additive at the parts store.