Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

New to the Forum

Hi all, new here!

Jeep is a survivor 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator 2 door 4X4 long bed pick up truck (SJ). It's very original. Plan is resto mod, as original as can be, but that has changed to as original as can be for a daily, since it needs to run and drive daily, meaning it needs to have more reliable parts than original, with parts being scarce.

So that's why I'm here, to get the best advice and ideas from Jeep people!

Welcome 5JeepsAz, I hope we can prove useful! Some great Willys Jeep projects going on here. We need pic's of your ride.

Heck yes, pictures. If you mod it, try and not do something that isn't easily reversed back to original. I hate to see the Sawzall have its way with original vehicles. It's a thing with me. Gladiators are neat trucks. Don't throw out the original parts. They are worth more original.
    "Options are for girls"

Thank you! Agree. It will stay original if safe. It's a rare survivor. I feel that same responsibility as others to keep it like it was built. I am keeping the parts down to the screws when anything replaced. So far that includes a radiator and the generator. Here are some pics

Looks like some California commercial plates. Always liked those trucks. That's my problem, I like too many.
    "Options are for girls"

I kept the CA plate on the front because it's a vintage CA plate! Found out today the dome light works and it's got a 4:27 rear end.

4.27 is a good compromise on a differential ratio. The '48 has the 5.38 behind the F-134 engine and at the 2200 RPM happy place, it wants to run 42 MPH.

It will pull a train, just not very fast!

and I have no idea how to drive a truck like this.

It wants about 600-800 rpms to crawl. Obviously a guess but it growls at 1200. Not used to that much torque. It will idle up a wall if I learn how. Right now I'm condition to revv it and that's a bad habit.

It likes 55 mph at top end, does not like 60 but will do it.

Now I'm back to considering an overdrive to get 60ish easily. I've heard mixed opinions on the overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    and I have no idea how to drive a truck like this.

It wants about 600-800 rpms to crawl. Obviously a guess but it growls at 1200. Not used to that much torque. It will idle up a wall if I learn how. Right now I'm condition to revv it and that's a bad habit.

It likes 55 mph at top end, does not like 60 but will do it.

Now I'm back to considering an overdrive to get 60ish easily. I've heard mixed opinions on the overdrive.
    It's a mindset. Know what speed the engine likes and don't abuse it. It's old. For decades I was doing old Broncos. The joke is with them?, unsafe at any speed. Sooo, 55 to 60 range was always my max. I don't drive my FJ40 faster than 55.
    The fix to going faster is buying something fairly new and having fun with the old stuff on the weekends.
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by scoutingranch; 09-03-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    "Options are for girls"

An overdrive is a nice option, especially to reduce the amount of RPM the engine and trans are experiencing. The main issue with speed is that much like a boat owner, you typically want another foot. The increased speed can show issues you have yet to discover. Everything from wheel balance to drive line vibrations could start to show up, and eating into your budget.