Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator Cindy

On the other, well the wife gave me a curtsey! Explain this one. I was informed Cindy is not my daily driver. Use as a weekend and date vehicle only. God grabbed my tongue mid sentnece and said, "Honey, you are my only love, and Cindy is just what I drive to work, and I love you". Then the curtsey. Then I got a perfectly cooked pork loin. Go figure.

Congrats on the "curtsy"!

Now that oil leak, If it's going to leak, sometimes it has to be decided is this a nuisance or a problem. A big spot the size of a tea cup saucer on the floor the next day after a good ride, might be a nuisance. Loosing a pint (not burning) every 1000 miles might be a problem. I would never let it run a long time more than a pint low. If it is leaking out keep filling it up to at least a little under full. There isn't a lot of oil in there. It needs it all to keep the oil cool, clean and lasting. It may get messy but it will last longer full of clean oil.

Much like my days of working on Harleys. When it stops leaking, it's out of oil.

Our '46 has a nuisance leak. The rear main seal is a dropper. After running up the road it leaves a 3 " puddle. 30W non detergent oil is fairly cheap, so it will be OK for the time being. Just have to park over a piece of plywood or cardboard. A couple runs ago I did put in some Lucas oil stop leak. It didn't measure it out, but rather topped off to full, maybe two cups worth. Then let it run for an hour at just above idle, so the generator kicked out some amps so the dieing cell battery would charge. So far the puddle has been noticeable smaller. It was worth an experiment since the well worn 134 isn't too far from needing new rings and con rod bearings. I typically don't use too many snake oil engine fixer cans, but folks swear by Lucas in the trucking industry, so why not.

Oil leaks can be and usually are tough. Tough to find, tough to get to, tough to stop. The best way always of course can't usually be done in the vehicle. When the motor is on the engine stand we pressure check them. That being said I have had some success with UV dye.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...MaAoepEALw_wcB

You must use a STRONG UV light however. The 1970's era florescent black light wont do. It needs to be very strong or very dark. If you can find it and its a non pressure leak, If you get it very clean you can use some good sticky silicone like "Odd Job".

Man, without you overachievers this truck wouldn't have it's oil checked! Here's the thing. Yes I'll attach pictures. Right now, I watched YouTube. Apparently, first you have to figure out which oil it is. So I brake cleaned parts of the underside. Wait, first i looked topside and the new work is not leaking and the cover is not the leak. Underneath, I cleaned. Tomorrow when I drive it I'll see what drips where. As far as the size of the puddles, there are drips after driving that soak out to a quarter size or fist size, but no pooling. So it leaks, runs, gets blown around, and when I stop it drips from a few places. The thing says it's down a quart and some. Tricky part. So I read the dipstick to say add a quart to the line. Mechanic said add two quarts, that line and the next line. Now, YouTube also informs me that a leak is better than burning it off internally, fouled plugs etc. And history books told me this engine leaked right out of the factory, one reason the engine only lasted a couple of years production run. So it doesn't have power steering and it's not brake fluid, although I should double check that. Upshot is, it's baby burping because got overfilled, the front of the pan isn't tight, this is also transmission oil, and most likely I'll be buying that fancy kit with yellow glasses and a spot light and florescent dye. I'm just happy enough there is still oil in it cause all I want to do is drive, baby, drive. Oh, and I found some of those bendable metal inserted strips holding the four wheel linkage on that look tired, so those will get replaced before I start shifting in and out of 4X4. I did manage to Not hit the fence twice, I executed a full turn out of a parking space past a chain link fence gate into an alleyway without turning the wheel at all once I aimed it, so it could be a good sign. I am learning how she goes. Anybody out there sitting on your project, finish up! It's definitely worth the hassles

Grease Zerts......Steering Bell Crank, Both ends of both drive shafts, Sometimes on older spring shackles, Both ends of steering rod, Model 44 sealed rear bearings have grease fittings on the inside. OMG what am I forgetting?

Exactly. Still working on it

Everytime I look this work impresses. Found a new deal where they split the break lines, tight work. Solid. So it did not leak just sitting, after cleaning. So much old oil though. Next step is a complete underside cleaning. Then I'll see what's what. This has the feel of a few different leaks, still. I'll find em.

It is incredibly rewarding when you find and cure a leak. You are right on track. You'll find em'.

Grease Zerks

Quote Originally Posted by timandzack View Post
    Grease Zerts......Steering Bell Crank, Both ends of both drive shafts, Sometimes on older spring shackles, Both ends of steering rod, Model 44 sealed rear bearings have grease fittings on the inside. OMG what am I forgetting?
    The '48 Truck has, by actual count, 35 ... yes 35... Zerk fittings. Many of them are tight enough that a hand grease gun won't fill them - and even with a pneumatic gun you need to lift the truck to get the load off of the fittings in the spring shackles.

Luckily I have a guy who is as fond of the truck as I am and he will do it for me - but he fusses and grumbles. (But that's a cheap price to pay - most shops won't even look at it!)