Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator Cindy

Ronald Reagan, a truly great President.

GM, Reagan speech says it all. Gonna print it and keep for future.

Sort of an update!

About two months ago I put the truck into the shop. So I'm twiddling thumbs and bothering other people on their threads until I get my truck back from the shop - appreciate your patience! Hopefully get it back before year end, maybe even next week. Looking forward to it muchly.

Not being mechanical myself, I'm completing this build with the help of some local pros who know from experience how to proceed. Couple years back I met a guy who said work at his shop was routine and he would welcome a resto in his shop for fun and variety for his guys, as long as I was patient, cause shop work takes priority. I jumped at that chance. He's long gone, and so are the two service desk people (RIP), and the old owner. So the original mechanic and trusted shop workers and new ownership are now in charge. These folks are the best.

It's going on three years in 2021.*

The first year involved locating the truck I wanted. Wasn't going to pay for a 2020 gladiator with all the fake tech on it. That's my thing, no apologies, don't want to argy and don't want to offend. That's the meaning behind my build. This build is about modernizing a great truck as a daily driver, better than the modern version. And it's going along great. Very happy.

Originally, aimed toward an original gladiator rhino chaser grille bench seat, manual transmission, long bed, two door, bad *** jeep pick up truck. Found a 64 fitting the description. Luckily the guy sold it to me. Haven't seen too many available!

Looking back, starting with what I wanted was crucial. Thought I could just modify anything from what it was to what I wanted. Later learned modifying is way harder than starting with good original to fix up like you like it. Lucky break again.

Then it was determining daily driver or resto. Went with "whatever it takes to make this a daily driver". I went with a resto mod, keep original but modernize. Now I have the truck I want that works like a 2020 model. No computer. Just mechanicals. Very lucky find and fix. I love it!

We refreshed the truck from top to bottom (existing parts). We added brakes (thanks forum leaders for making this important - definitely safer and possibly a life saver). Story there is I hit the original brakes hard and ended up in the other lane. Lucky no traffic. Good brakes are a non negotiable. Got four discs. Love em. Added air conditioning, and a bunch of upgrades. It was working great but needed some lastm fixes.

Right now, I'm adding a vacuum canister and throttle advancem to adjust for the new needs from the new equipment added. That what's in the shop list.

So the shop found a new issue and is working out a fuel tank modification. I just want a fuel guage.

As soon as that is done, I'll be roadworthy!

Don't forget you have been able to enjoy it when its not in the shop. It is one nice fence killer.

You have a great story Az, make sure you get it to KW for the catalog or Willys of the week. I like your approach. I love the classic that holds it's own in the modern world.

2 months, I'd be missing that Jeep too, hope you get it back soon!

Thanks for understanding! Here's a couple of pictures. Off to the shop. Up angle at a 45ish degree (very cool tow truck guy). The gas tank fix sounds like a fustercluck. I'm imagining the thing in several pieces that just won't fit back together rightly. Looking forward to getting my drive on! Will keep you posted...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like your approach. You'll have a truck that was built to withstand the test of time, and with your upgrades will be around for another 56 years. Our '63 wagon will be much like your truck. Vintage on the outside, newer tech underneath. It's a slow process, picking up the parts as I go, when funds are available.

What a sad picture. Poor Cindy, off to the shop, far from her owner. No fence.

Bmorgil, yup I'm feeling sorry for myself! My team just lost in epic fashion to the hated in state rivals by like 100 points in football. Good win for them, for all times in history really, and congratulations to the victors of the "Territorial Cup." See you next time! We fired our coach immediately after the historic loss even though we might need to pay a salary kicker of millions. Generally speaking if you do a piss poor job in this state we say, "You're fired", and, we say look forward to the next battle, and, we show self respect when we tip our hat to the victors. Good job sun devil's. Cats will see you next year. And Cindy will remain red, white, and blue even if she lives at the spa half the time recuperating from a few great fence battles. Okay, I feel better now. Needed to share my feelings. Lol

Edit: but hey look at that angle! I wanted to see what she looked like climbing a hill. The flatbed guy cranked her all the way up. Shifting on an incline is going to be something. Haven't tried yet but I'll need that lap belt tight. Haven't been in 4wheel low or high yet. Looking forward to that..
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 12-13-2020 at 01:43 PM.

It seems like the modification of this car is not yet over.