Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator Cindy

Value, budget, theft.

I bought a $5,800 truck , put $4,200 into it, now it's worth about $7,500. I'm going to put five more into it and then stop. My investment will be $15,000, and the truck would sell for $10,000. I'm good with it. Problem of theft. If they pull up with a trailer they will haul it off in minutes and it'll be gone out of country in a day. That would suck. Short of that, I've got it boxed in most of the time, so there will be secure. One risk is parking lots. End off the day, it's worth less than I put into it, and I expect that. So whether it gets stolen or I sell it on, I'll never make the money back. That puts it into the enjoyment category. "Glad I have Cindy for today" type of thinking. I'll keep telling myself that!

HaHa this is why some really nice Jeeps spend their re-conditioned lives in the garage. My insurance allows me to insure for an amount. I put a value on it and that's all there is to it. If I lose it I get up to the amount I stipulate. I also can take it on and off insurance in the winter, when it doesn't get driven.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-21-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Invest in a hidden battery disconnect switch, (common on drag cars) and place it in a inconspicuous spot that you can access without looking obvious. Under the dash/seat/or even in the glove box. Better yet, a relay to a switch to where you just have to arm it with a dash switch. This will help to prevent thieves from starting it up when you are out on the town. As far as at home, put up a sign that states that if you can read this, you are within range. Be sure to have a multilingual sign for our southern neighbors to understand.

This is a hobby, and even though the prices are sky high on Epay, the chances of getting what you pay out is very small. Insurance will never cover what you have invested. Maybe outfits like Hagerty Insurance might get you a bit more, but you will still be at a loss.

Jeep Fever

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Might cost tho... See next post!
    Jeep rhymes with Cheap, but it sure ain't.

J E E P - Just Extract Every Penny

When I was going through all of the title paperwork trying to find the paperwork that Indiana threw away, one of the nicer DMV ladies helped me find the original price of a 1948 2WD Jeep truck. The official record said that it would have cost $1,850. Just for giggles and grins, I asked her to look up a 1948 Chevy truck for comparison - $1,350.

Jeeps have never been the least money vehicle, new - used or resurrected.

But they're the most fun ... !

Mad Max had a great anti-theft device in The Road Warrior. I think it was wired to the gas cap. It insured no one got the car or any pieces of it. Not even him. Everyone lost the car but, justice was served immediately to the perpetrators. The anti-theft device sent them straight to hell!

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

As another possibility for an acronym.

I just keep the floor starter pedal on the 2A. If they do figure out how to turn the ignition switch on, then they probably won't get time enough to figure out how to start it.

Just got an email from a Jeep dealership. 2020 Gladiator still over 40K. I'm winning the lotto!!! lol

Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Just got an email from a Jeep dealership. 2020 Gladiator still over 40K. I'm winning the lotto!!! lol

And it's ugly ...

The new ones will look right at home cruising around the mall and Home Depot.

I'd take an original Gladiator any day of the week over a new one.

I'm thinking kill switch. My prob with new Jeep's is all the tech. Allergic to it! I found a decent deal for a/c at Jeep Air out of Florida. My shop geniuses will have to figure out the mounting bracket. Apparently nobody with the Tornado 360 engine had an a/c added to their rig in memory otherwise they would have had the template for the bracket. Spec manual has some decent info so should be okay