Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator Cindy

As gm said a ways back in the thread, there is nothing bad about a brake upgrade.

Absolutely. That's what keeps it going. The comments about brakes on here keep ringing true in my head. I think I'm gonna do the conversion..

Count me among the lucky ones who benefit from the betters on this forum. So now I'm convinced to do the break conversion. 4 discs all around. I'm going through KW for a kit. Since they sell a front kit and a back kit I've asked if they can make it one kit. Anything I need to know?

I think you ill be happy with what they have. I am anxious to watch this conversion. I think it will make a huge difference in the way that big girl slows down. You will need those clamps when your rolling down from Flagstaff.

The only thing that comes to mind would be to ensure that the proportioning valve is set up for four wheel disk brakes. If you buy the front kit, it would be most likely set up for front disks and rear drums. Something to check on.

The next item would be to ensure that your wheels will fit over the disk brakes. Original Willys Kelsey Hayes steel 16" or 15" wheels will not fit because they hit the calipers. So you will have to either go to Ford or Dodge 4X4 truck steel wheel to keep the original look.

Alright I followed all advice and still ended up in a hole. Help! So I'm doing the order from KW on the front and back disc conversion kits. After some uproar it gets everyone's okay. Now suddenly I have to find a thing called a dual reservoir master cylinder with a adjustable proportioning valve. So my happy *** asks the internet. IOT gives more than one choice. Guidance as to brand? I do not really want a brake pedal sticking out of whatever I buy, so perhaps that can be avoided.

I've read lots of threads here and around on this. I'm glad people took the time.

The brakes are not functioning properly.

Replacement drums and lines are are a modification to modern, otherwise unavailable.

Efforts to restore to original failed due to no parts available.

Upgrade to disc is best brake system available.

KW does have the disc brake conversion kit for my axles. (I'm sticking with this as a found solution).

KW does not have matching master cylinder for front and back (dual reservoir adjustor).

Limiting the choice buying a standalone master cylinder.

So... The risk here is put on the discs front and rear, new plumbing, leaving the old in place just because, and having a completed resto with no master cylinder.

But I'm not buying a new master cylinder before seeing the hole it needs to fit in.

Crazy!

I'm about to buy front and rear disc conversion kits for install ... With no master cylinder.

Any comments welcome.

In looking at your Master Cylinder pictures, it appears to look like a GM style mount. Two bolts through the firewall? If so this will do the trick.

https://swperformanceparts.com/MC1321H-PV4SIDE-KIT/

Thank you. In progress. Will post updates!

We regret to inform you that our warehouse has informed us that we are out of stock on the master cylinder used in this kit and there is currently no ETA on when we will receive more. We will be cancelling and refunding this order. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

Argh. Will find another source