Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator Cindy

thank you for that info. Yes looked into all of the packages, wanted to buy one. All are not for this SJ necessarily, they are for mostly the earlier willys truck, or for a different setup than what is on there. As far as we can tell my truck has the next version of brakes and these particular ones are 12" diameter. That means later style and not 11", which means ultra rare, not locatable. Anyway, what's on there led to deciding to "just mod it", rather than convert to what's in an available package. If I'm going to convert, I'll go to discs. The truth is I am not as dedicated to resto because after months of trying, I'd need to adjust the entire approach to stick with resto only. Right now I have a guy down the street who knows the truck and is willing to work on it, and that's way different than finding a guy who would resto the thing perfectly. So... I want a daily driver that can be worked on by a modern day mechanic, so am sacrificing the resto reluctantly. What I am doing is keeping all the original parts so if I or someone else later wants to resto it, it's all there to do right. Probably a massive rationalization. But I want to drive this thing! I hope I'm not making a mistake... essentially, this thing came with big drum brakes that'll do the job, so keeping with orig design, modern guts, easily maintained from here on out..

Brake Upgrade

No one is going to second guess a decision to upgrade brakes. Getting it to stop is just as critical as getting it to run.

Just remember the phone commercial:

"If the brakes don't stop it, something else will."

NOT a good option

Go with the brake upgrade. You'll never regret the decision after driving it the first day after the retrofit.

Bmorgil is right. I was jaded when using the Crown brake parts.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-07-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Well today I got a nice minute or three with the old girl. Parts and boxes all the hell over. A/c is mocked up, looks sorted. Dude needed a different compressor with tubes out the back not the top so I was dropping that off. Also dropped off the 'new' instrument cluster. Getting a new electro fuel pump and ignitor as said above. Pretty exciting actually. I like that truck! Oh yeah, brakes. In progress all around.

Just read a few threads. This forum has great knowledge. Thank you. The only add I have on my build is the glove box is made out of card board, meaning pre- plastic, not metal. Who knew. So we are going to try to dip it in fiber or rubber or whatever to strengthen but keep original. See how that goes.

Glove Box

The only add I have on my build is the glove box is made out of card board,

I was able to get a plastic glove box for the '48. It was a great improvement.

Well, bearer of awful news. I'm sorry to bring this update on the passing of the young man who was quarterbacking this build as the shop customer service representative. A Christian, a father, a son, a friend, and a coworker, an all around decent human being. For me, he was sheparding this build and me along with it. He's got a permanent ride along in his rest, as I can't imagine driving Cindy without thinking of him often. Sudden, awful, unbelievable. No more words. There isn't one thing I've done on this build he didn't help with, even before I bought the truck. I'm just sorry for his young daughter, mom, mates at the shop. The old foreman treated him as a son. He'll be missed, and when done, he'll smile down. God Bless you my friend.

It is good to hear he will live on in your truck.

Our most heartfelt condolences. He sounded like a stand up man who was wise beyond his years. May he forever ride shotgun in all your adventures with Cindy.

Cindy ... Maybe in one month we will have some pictures of this round, completed and road Worthy. It's an old two step.. step one: The trusty mechanic is completing what's on hand. So that's good! And then, step two, you guessed it. Brakes. Guess what? We might be back to a disc conversion. Yep.