Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator Cindy

As gm said each one of these has there own thing. Get practiced at getting it moving with as little clutch slippage and RPM as you can. Then give it the gas and let your motor tell you where to shift. You motor is a low RPM torquer. It doesn't need to scream up in the RPM range to pull. You will find when you get it moving and the clutch is fully engaged, when you step on it it revs quickly and then starts to hang or slow down its assent. You want to shift BEFORE you reach the point where the motor is out of breath. In your Hurricane Six you have 90 hp at 4400 rpm and 135 lb of torque at 2000 rpm. So at maximum load, or if you wanted maximum performance (Drag Racing a guy at the light) you would leave the starting line at peak torque to get moving and shift at peak HP for maximum acceleration. So if Cindy is running from the law with a load of Shine, drop the clutch at 2000 and shift at 4400. You adjust this based on how fast you want to take off and accelerate. Less performance required lowers the RPM points at take off and shifting.

You could temporarily or permanently put a Tachometer in it. This will give you an opportunity to hear it at various RPM. Once you hear your peak HP RPM (4400) and peak torque (2000) RPM's, you will be driving her by ear. There is no need to ever take that engine over 4400 RPM. When you are pulling hard keep it above 2000. Don't know if that all makes sense but, I think a Tach might just show you where she likes to run.

Happy 4th Fellas and thank you for keeping us free. So grateful. I will not the hell put any tacho-meter on this vehicle. No Sir.i will put an ear to the thing. To the first I am not solid enough yet to use second, it is a three speed, so questionable when second is correct. The clutch is about perfect, engages, etc. So this is down to the driver. To the second yes perfectly understood about breathing. What I am saying is this thing was clearly designed to do something perfectly. I know because I get it right once in awhile. It also 'allows' me to shift, doesn't accept the shift if that makes sense. But the throw is long, so a quick shift is not appropriate.. I'll try second year off the line. It does chug at some points. More later. Today, try to enjoy the freedoms that you provided!

You don't need a tach you can use the speedo. Just use the RPM/SPEED calculator. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...e-speed-at-RPM

And I agree, A big THANK YOU and God Bless to our Veterans for our freedom. Those we have, those who have gone and we will meet again, and those who will come in the future.

Well, I don't have a speedo either. But that breathing thing, yup! So KFC run says second is an option. Feels like a modern car. Just starts slow. I did it at a ligh withc all traffic in front and nobody behind and it worked out fine. So we will try that again in daily driver traffic. Dang this thing is loooow.

Haha! It is Looow indeed 5JeepsAz!

stickers, shadows of the famous fence, hopen I like it in the morning!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classic. Signature tailgate. Great shot!

Interior progress

Still need to install armrests. Magnet holding up roof carpet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    As gm said each one of these has there own thing. Get practiced at getting it moving with as little clutch slippage and RPM as you can. Then give it the gas and let your motor tell you where to shift. You motor is a low RPM torquer. It doesn't need to scream up in the RPM range to pull. You will find when you get it moving and the clutch is fully engaged, when you step on it it revs quickly and then starts to hang or slow down its assent. You want to shift BEFORE you reach the point where the motor is out of breath. In your Hurricane Six you have 90 hp at 4400 rpm and 135 lb of torque at 2000 rpm. So at maximum load, or if you wanted maximum performance (Drag Racing a guy at the light) you would leave the starting line at peak torque to get moving and shift at peak HP for maximum acceleration. So if Cindy is running from the law with a load of Shine, drop the clutch at 2000 and shift at 4400. You adjust this based on how fast you want to take off and accelerate. Less performance required lowers the RPM points at take off and shifting.

You could temporarily or permanently put a Tachometer in it. This will give you an opportunity to hear it at various RPM. Once you hear your peak HP RPM (4400) and peak torque (2000) RPM's, you will be driving her by ear. There is no need to ever take that engine over 4400 RPM. When you are pulling hard keep it above 2000. Don't know if that all makes sense but, I think a Tach might just show you where she likes to run.
    I keep reading this. I have the tornado 230 so numbers might be slightly different. Mechanic told me 2700 RPMs is sweet spot. I will get out my readings on it and learn the curve. Then I need a day on the trails. A little bit of sand, mud, gravel, rocks, hills, open road (dirt), tight corners. At the point where, man, if I get this figured, this thing will be freedom to roam unhindered.

This is so much more truck than I know what to do with. Serious learning curve here. It would probably get off the line it third gear. Everytime I try something it does so much more than I can imagine. So for now, I'm just learning. Better brakes, better engine, better than everything. She actually smiled at me when I figured out the RPMs vs torque vs breathing deal. Maybe I was smiling and ole Cindy said you'd want more, ok, let's get it. Dunno. Fellas, this Willy's Jeep Truck thing is a very long conversation, just starting over here.