Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator Cindy

Wow a new one leaking. That is always a tough deal. You don't look there first because you don't expect it. Glad you got that fixed!

Boo-Yah!!! Truck is home!!

Alright fellers , Cindy is back and better than ever. Not perfect mind you, but functioning. What happened? Well, two months ago she was sluggish and stuff was breaking. Definitely time for a spa day. This time I had all the parts on hand for install. This time the shop was slow and had the time. This time I had piles of cash and a happy wife wanting to ride in a working truckster. Yeah, well. Also, it was the year 2020. Which amounts to two months later and here's the story.

First off, the pony keg cannister went on fine but it wasn't the solution. Because the problem was a faulty master cylinder. Which I think the shop got off the shelf two of them since it was a shortage, and would they warranty the part, and etc. Delayed. Finally the new one appears to be on there. Pic below. Funny, the pedal is still soft. But I compensate with my 3 feet method upon startup. I'll keep track and keep everyone updated. It just seems like the old school brakes I remember that you had to pump on occasional to keep firm, but they always work. Except in ruts going down a slope of loose tallus. Then nothing works. Except gravity. That'll pull ya. So anyway, check, master cylinder and vacuum done.

Well actually, it started. That should be first. Because it went in there on a trolley due to not starting. All I heard on that was, 'he got it started'. So I didn't ask what the problem was. Seems like routine maintenance is now on my list. I have that extra fuel filter in the line so that'll need replaced by me etc. I am damn lucky to own this truck. Old guy bought a solid truck to begin with, did wonderful resto work before he passed, my fortune to have gotten his truck.

Now the throttle advance, also pictured, is a curiosity to me. It's supposed to plunge at some point. What determines the moment it activates? Is it electrical? How does it know because the thing idled low on the way home and I have no way of knowing if it came on. All I see is an oil light telling me low oil pressure. Have to research that. Any help welcomed!

Alright, so what I did do to prevent a stall was just choke the thing at a stop light, but I'm told that's bad. Anyway, I broke the old cable doing it so the new cable is on there. I was happy the mechanic wanted to relocate the knob to dash center. Because straight is good when it comes to that cable in my experience. Also, it opens up a hole where he moved the choke from for me to put the switch for my fancy new fog lights switch into. Yes, they were supposed to be vintage old metal and they are plastic probably made for a bike, but they are going on if they work at all because twelve bucks plus shipping from Maine. I just want to illuminate dark streets to avoid running over Arizona Gators, also known as desert critters such like the neighbors 600 cats.

Alright, what else? Oh, still drips oil. Go figure. I'm hoping source to be revealed after a good scrub, so I can solve that one.

I need to put on these locks for the topper. Found some from Kansas City or nearby after 10 emails that apparently fit and have one key. That remains to be seen. I have a top nobody can originate. They think it's from an early series by Leer. It fits so it's good, just need to get these new locks put on.

You know this... Driving her around was awesome. Man is it good to be in a Kaiser Willy's Jeep Truck. Shes parked outside. Didn't hit the fence today. I'm gonna go look at her. What a badass jeep truck. I'm taking the long-suffering beauty bride out for ice cream or hot chocolate this weekend. Home sweet home!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 02-05-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Awesome Az! It sounds like there might be a little air in the brake lines. I would see if you can't get them pressure bled. A leaking master cylinder is fairly easy to diagnose. When you push hard on it it will slowly drop to the floor. The brake pedal should always stop somewhere. If it slowly drops the master cylinder is leaking. If there is air in the lines however, air is compressible, brake fluid is not. When you have air in the brakes, the pedal becomes soft because the air compresses. In addition, the air has little motion when it compresses, which causes you to have to pump it to get enough travel. So if you can pump it up and get it to stop without the pedal slowly sinking, there is air in it. If yo can get a firm pedal but it slowly drops to the floor, the master is leaking. It can be VERY difficult to get air out of some brake systems. Pressure bleeding will do it.

The throttle assist should be energized whenever the air conditioning compressor is on. It should be adjusted so you do not notice any big changes in the idle speed when the air conditioning compressor kicks in and out. It definitely sounds like it needs adjustment. The pony keg will be needed when you are running hot with the air on in downtown Phoenix. Multiple stabs on the brakes in a row will be where it will save you.

Do not use the choke. The overrich mixture wears the heck out of the rings and cylinder walls and contaminates the oil. You are so bad Az.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-05-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Bad, bad, man, bmorgil!!! Perfectly answered. I'll check back with updates. Gonna drive some this weekend.

Enjoy your rides!

Twerking with Cindy

I washed her today. Suds first. Spray. Used a blower like a hair dryer. It was great. She looks alright in the dark. Tomorrow morning I'll have to see if she is actually clean or if I just spread the dust around. Also got four of the windoor locks put on my topper. The fifth one, the back window, is riveted in, not removable from birth in the 80's. Dilemma. Get a locksmith to match the key, or changing a working latch in favor of a replacement that is already keyed.

It would be cheaper to replace the latch with one with a key.

Glad you are back on the road!

Done! (with exceptions noted)

Took Mrs. 5Jeeps out for a spin in Cindy, got some ice cream, and she loved it. Best thing ever!

This Kaiser Willy's Jeep Truck is running very well. It's a fully functional daily driver. Runs and drives. Has a/c and heat. After this morning it has 1st rate sound from a portable sirius boom box with plenty of good vibes, powered by an inverter plugged into an auxiliary port which will power small gadgets also. No squeeks, whistles, rattles. All the windows and doors work. It has all original badging. Upholstery is complete. Wipers and all lights work. Guages and buttons work. Windows and glass good, tinted, split window in back. Paint is decent. Topper is decent. Truck has the original vintage "double bed in the bed", grass covered with 8' under storage and sleepable.

Issues:

The soft brakes will need to be addressed. Upon start up, nothing but floor, but they work at the floor. After it runs, some resistance, and they continue to work. After it moves fully operational foot pedal and touchy strong brakes like power brakes are when using all four discs. So I'm not worried about safety, just worried about proper functioning.

Leaks: gas drips when adding fuel, oil drips. This is routine maintenance issue and I need to persist to resolution by cleaning, locating, repairing. Just need to keep it clean, tighten or seal. Everything has been gone through twice by dudes who know, so it's just a PIA leaky old truck.

E-Brake. Need to find a solution. A truck needs a hand or foot e brake.

Window washer. Need to find a good way to attach some spray nozzles to the wiper blades.

Visors. Wife wants to sew up visor covers. I would like to add a mirror to the passenger side visor.

Fog lamps. Need to add. Vintage yellow is goal. See if current faux vintage plastic ones will function for meanwhile.

Reverse lights. This one doesn't have, so need to add.

Smooth out the speedometer.

Cover for dome light

Fix the interior light in the topper.

Drill out the topper lock and install the keyed replacement.

Reinvestigation of Herm the overdrive guys overdrive. This thing needs a fourth speed.

Basically, this is exactly the badass jeep truck I aimed for.

Thanks to the forum and the guys at Aamco Glendale in Phoenix!

(Mods are listed previously, too many to repeat. These guys built me a badass truck. It purrs and roars and rides smooth).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 02-07-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Got to have air in those lines Az. Take it back and tell your boy's it is acting like there is air in the brakes. Four wheel disc brakes with a Corvette Master Cylinder, should have a nice high pedal that is firm and does not move very far. Definitely no where near the floor. No pumping, good firm pedal first time. If the pedal is not sinking there is no other explanation for a soft pedal that is on the floor and "pumps" up. If they are having trouble that is not unusual in a system that is modified as yours is. Also be sure the bleeders on the brake calipers are on the top. I have seen this happen. If the bleeders are on the bottom, you will never get the air out.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-08-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks, man! The brakes were there this morning from the get go, good pedal whole time. I'll take it to a certified brake guru for adjustment. Everything is on there now - just a matter of fine tuning. Only stalled it once and barely scraped the fence on the way out. Work in progress!!