Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing some research on a 1963 wagoneer for a book

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    You should buy an owners manual to see how much information you find in it. "Research" .
    You know, I did look for one. I can imagine they're hard to come by, but you'd think there'd be one somewhere. I got discouraged in my search, but maybe I'll try again. The more information I have, the better I can immerse myself in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Grease bibs.

Okay so these things have little nipples poking out all over the place underneath. You plug a thing on that is similar to old time bicycle ride pumps. Once the hose is connected to the bib, you operate a lever to force grease in. It's a guess when enough is enough. Guarantee the son pumps that thing too many times and ends up will a blob of grease squirting out over there that he does not know what to do with.
    So, I did a quick google search that came up with nothing but baby bibs with "Pink ladies" or "T Birds" on them. I found this just as amusing as the suggestion you made. I like the idea, but I need a little more to go on. When would you need to do this? What is it greasing exactly?

Grease Bibs ... aka Zerk Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrolocks View Post
    So, I did a quick google search that came up with nothing but baby bibs with "Pink ladies" or "T Birds" on them. I found this just as amusing as the suggestion you made. I like the idea, but I need a little more to go on. When would you need to do this? What is it greasing exactly?
    Take a look for Zerk fittings or grease zerks (really - that's another name for them ... zerk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seEQ06-UKdA

Here are links to some books that would be helpful:

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/owners-...-station-wagon

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/willys-...l-willys-jeeps

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/mechani...-station-wagon
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 09-15-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Take a look for Zerk fittings or grease zerks (really - that's another name for them ... zerk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seEQ06-UKdA

Here are links to some books that would be helpful:

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/owners-...-station-wagon

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/willys-...l-willys-jeeps

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/mechani...-station-wagon
    Lots and lots of shop rags! I can only imagine! XD

I looked at the links you sent and realized i had been searching too specifically, do i did a general search. The cheapest one on ebay was the exact one I needed! I might also get the tornado engine one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Wagonmaster in Kerrville Texas a a car lot full of wagoneers restored and ready for sale here and abroad. Mostlly they do later model Grand Wagoneers but I suspect they know about earlier models. Try them, but you should have specific questions ready, I imagine they stay busy www.wagonmaster.com

Thanks so much!

I don't know how to thank all of you who helped me enough! You helped me accomplish exactly what I'd set out to do: bring life to a car in a story. The parts in the story that include him learning to work on and drive Eleanor (our Wagoneer) are mostly plot based, but thanks to all of the lovely feedback I received, I was able to create a bond between a boy (well, android actually) and his first car. Thanks so much! Now every time I see an old jeep, I smile and think of you guys! ^_^

Proofs or it didn't happen!!

Please be kind... lol

Proofs or it didn't happen!!
    I've never posted anything I've written online and have only let close friends read my work, so please be kind.

XD Well, I haven't written the scene where he has to drive to the hospital, which I'm sure would depict the bond better, but I don't write my scenes in order. The premise of the story is that a robotics engineer and his wife who specializes in programming begin build an android designed to mimic human development with the use of genuine experiences like pain and emotion. The wife dies suddenly and the father is diagnosed with cancer, spurring him on to finish the project. So, as a result, he finishes the android that looks like a 15 year old boy to keep his 12 year old daughter company in the event of his death. Anyway, that seems super depressing, but it's a long journey that establishes a bond between the siblings as Chip, the android, develops.

This scene is written after Chip "officially" turns 18 and is able to take custody of his sister after their dad dies. She's 15 here. Since he refuses to let her get a job for fear of her grades slipping, he works 3 jobs after he graduates high school to pay all the bills, but he only works 2 of them on Sunday, so he gets to come home before his sister falls asleep. I guess the moral of the story is that family is precious, whether it's biological or not, and they're all each other has, so their relationship is pretty close.

Chip walked through the front door and tossed Becky a chocolate bar. It landed on the kitchen table and slid over to her hand.

"Is it weird that you know my menstrual cycle?"

"No. It's every 28 days and my preparation for it is a matter of survival. I thought you might actually dismantle me last month without shutting me down first."

"It wasn't that bad, but it would've served you right for putting that red shirt in with my load of whites! You're lucky I like pink."

"It was an accident! I was exhausted and needed a clean work shirt. I'm sorry."

"I thought machines were supposed to be flawless."

"Then blame the washer!"

They both laughed and Becky felt her chest swell with love. "You're going to make some girl very happy one day."

"I can barely handle you, why would I want a girlfriend?"

She shrugged. "Crazier things have happened…"

"Well, Eleanor and I have been spending a lot of time together. I think it's getting serious."

She heard him from around the corner as he put his shoes and coat in the closet. She hesitated for a few seconds, unsure how to respond, so she waited for him to join her in the kitchen. His face was unreadable.

She gulped. "All those oil changes?"

Eyebrows raised suggestively, he nodded.

Unable to hold back any longer, Becky snapped. "Oh, come on! The Jeep?! Tell me you're kidding."

"Of course I am, but I'm just as compatible with her as I would be with some random girl."

"Um, no, because she can't even talk."

Chip smirked. "Maybe I like that about her."

Bravo bravo bravo !!!! Dude. You got something there. Keep plunking away.

Bravo bravo bravo !!!! Dude. You got something there. Keep plunking away.
    Thanks! This story and the characters have been with me for 15 years, I'm just happy to be getting it down on paper, so to speak. Hearing someone say it's interesting to someone other than myself, means more than you know. ^_^