Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Doing some research on a 1963 wagoneer for a book

Who's idea was that? Could it be... Finely an opportunity to have a Writer take literary license out on the couple of Engineer's who make mechanic's lives hell!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-14-2020 at 07:15 AM.

When I got my Heep I noticed on the left rear there was a lug bolt broke off. I soon found out why.

I watched a guy bust the whole side on an older Mopar truck! He thought they were just rusted on.

Just about as bright as watching one of our shop kids rip the plastic lug nuts off of our Ford shop trucks hub caps.

That is absolutely stupid. I just picture a bunch of stubborn people destroying all the lug nuts because it would never cross their minds that it would be the reverse of what I believed to be UNIVERSAL.

I'm tempted to add that into the scene. I'm sure his father would warn him before he did any damage, but still, holy cow....

Ah, Not So Fast Young Grasshopper

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrolocks View Post
    That is absolutely stupid. I'm tempted to add that into the scene. ....
    There was a reason for the right-hand and left hand threads on wheel lugs.

'Way back when, folks didn't have 150 PSI pneumatic wrenches to put on lug nuts, just a four headed cross wrench. Lug nuts might not get spun down so tightly that you needed a cross wrench and a three foot piece of pipe to get them off.

To lessen the possibility of tire/wheel rotation loosening the lug nuts, the threads were cut to make sure that if wheel rotation could turn the nuts, it would turn them in a direction to tighten them, not loosen them with bad JuJu results.

In the field environment of the MB and GPW, it was a good idea because you never knew which soldier was going to change the tire. It carried over into the early days of Jeeps as well.

But - Add it to the scene - we've all grunted on lefty-tighty lug nuts at least once!

What's fun is when two lugs were replaced with right hand thread, with the remaining three still being lefty threads. Been there, seen it. Have to look at all lugs for the L or R stamped on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    There was a reason for the right-hand and left hand threads on wheel lugs.

'Way back when, folks didn't have 150 PSI pneumatic wrenches to put on lug nuts, just a four headed cross wrench. Lug nuts might not get spun down so tightly that you needed a cross wrench and a three foot piece of pipe to get them off.
    Ahhhhh.... that makes sense. The "way back when" aspect is also why I'm here. Chip's strength aside, they're just using hand tools. I'm sure they'd all prefer it if the wheels stay on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    What's fun is when two lugs were replaced with right hand thread, with the remaining three still being lefty threads. Been there, seen it. Have to look at all lugs for the L or R stamped on the end.
    Only swapping out some of the nuts sounds like something I would do.

I've seen an L and an R on bolts before! Huh. Never knew it meant anything. So now back to the story. So this guy Chip, seems like a decent soul. Sorry. Had to put that up. I am allergic to AI which is why I have an old Jeep anyway. Keep these snippets coming - good stuff!