Thread: Looking for info, help

Looking for info, help

I recently bought a 60 cj5 and it has STANDARD painted on the hood; drivers side by the fire wall, and up towards the grill on passenger side. I am wondering if I have a rare jeep or somebody painted it on later for what reason I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome D.ohlmann,

Please submit a photo of your new purchase for a better understanding to what you are seeing. My first thought that your Jeep may have been owned by a Standard oil company service station, but the layout sounds puzzling.

Well I would like to for some reason the site will not let pull the pictures off my phone.

Try going to advanced over on the right corner. Click on the paperclip. On a phone or tablet, the site wants to pull from documents, then to pictures. Hope that helps. Can't wait to see your Jeep!

Hopefully the pics are here
    Attached Images Attached Images

Standard Logo

First of all - it looks like you have a pretty good starting place for a Jeep project. We can't see rust or holes in the floor, but the external sheet metal I can see looks a lot better than average. It probably wasn't a farm or construction Jeep.

It's hard to figure out why people paint things on Jeeps. Usually because they can and it feels good when they're done!

Just an opinion - but I doubt the Standard Oil link. The Standard Oil logo type font was a straight, square font with no background shadowing.

But, who knows - you now have a Jeep with a mystery attached ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It still might be, in my opinion, because of sign painters don't always follow the exact logo. If it was a sticker, I could buy into the thought more. With that being said, if there was remnants of something painted in front of the standard, then it would be more convincing. Just an example: Mark's Standard, then I would be convinced, but to just have standard has me puzzled. The style of lettering used puts me in mind of a fire department. It is a mystery.

It is a good looking Jeep! It is a good starting point.