Thread: M38 Jeep

M38 Jeep

Hi everyone, I have a M38 that I am having problems getting started. I have fresh fuel with additive, stabilizer, new plugs and am getting fire but the jeep cranks and sputters then dies back out. any suggestions?

Rick, can you squirt a little fuel into the carb and keep it running? Since you have spark and it sputters I think its probably in the carb. After setting awhile, my money would be on a gummed up fuel circuit in the carb or, a bad fuel pump diaphragm. Look down the carb with the engine off. Pump the throttle. Do you see and hear fuel squirting from the accelerator pump in the carb?

Welcome!

First question, do you have fuel getting to the carb itself? Is the fuel pump functional? It doesn't take but 2 and a half psi to run the engine. If so, then move on to the carb as suggested by Bmorgil.

Yes I should have clarified that. I meant a bad fuel pump diaphragm in the engine fuel pump. If it set with fuel in it, especially if it contains ethanol, everything rubber is suspect. If you activate the accelerator pump on the carb, and you don't see fuel, then either there is no fuel in the carb or, the accelerator pump in the carb is bad. Do you have the clear bowl on top of the fuel pump? Do you see some fuel in it? If you introduce a small amount of fuel at the carb top, and it runs as long as you are dripping in fuel, there are only two things to look at.

As gmwillys is pointing out, is the fuel even getting to the carb?