Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future builder, currently lurking

Hybrid View

Future builder, currently lurking

My name is Ray-Dean. I'm a disabled vet, husband to a police officer, and a father of three sons. After the Navy, I worked as a Ford Master Tech for 12 years, then worked for the city as their mechanic, and most recently as the head mechanic/shop foreman for our local county highway district. I rebuilt my first engine (2.3 Ford) at 14, and I worked my way to complete fabricating custom hot rods. Learned to drive in a 71 IH Scout 800B Comanche, and Sold my '61 Scout 80 to fund a new Willys project.

I have owned three Jeeps, a mid-70's cj5, a '91 yj while in the service, and we currently own an '18 jlu that is our "family car". I've always wanted a flat fender Willys, but never really had the means or time to devote to a proper personal built. In march of this year, I started my own small woodworking business (my disabilities prevent me from wrenching and fabricating full time now) and I have decided that an early Jeep would make the perfect shop/company vehicle.

So I'm looking... Found several in all states of disrepair. Nothing that I couldn't tackle, but my wife has places limitations on the amount of work needed so I cannot purchase a complete basket case. It's probably for the best. Right?

I hope that will do for an introduction. Currently looking for a cj2a and Bantam trailer to do a resto-mod. Love old Jeeps, don't need a military vehicle to remind me I served.

Ray-Dean,

Welcome to the forum, but first and foremost Thank you for your sacrifice. We here appreciate your service.

A good source for reasonable, (mostly) Willys, I would search through the following;

http://www.ewillys.com/

A 2A is a great start for a flat fender. What are your plans for making it into a resto-mod. Trust me, we won't judge!

First, what gmwillys said for sure Ray-Dean.

Ray-Dean, hurry up and buy one, we can't wait to watch it go!

You have the credentials to really have a good time with a Flat Fender. For me the body work was a huge part of what could or would have turned it into a much bigger project. Everyone has their specialty. I considered the body the thing that would slow me down the most. I am just plain not that good at body work. I ended up with a tub kit and that really helped. I am very lucky to have a son who is into Jeeps and has friends into Jeeps. They all went searching. I had a lot of leads that's for sure! We looked at a few and traveled a few hundred miles in the process. We had the trailer in tow every time.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-17-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Looking for a Jeep

Welcome to the forum, I need another former sailor around here.

GMWillys was right in that a CJ 2A would be a good flat fender project, but don't discount a CJ 3A either. BMorgil,one of the co-conspirators here, just finished his CJ 3A (aka "PeeJ") and it has turned out to be an awesome little Jeep.

That's PeeJ in the middle ... and my truck.

We offer a lot of free advice and it's worth every penny you will pay for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have looked at a few early Jeeps. The first was a cobbled early M38. They had added 1" body spacers then cut the seam on the hood and beat it "flat" to clear a Hurricane minus air cleaner. The were asking $5,500 but nothing added up. I'm not sure what t-case it had, but there was only one lever all the way against the firewall under the dash. Then there were the "custom" touches... Beer can brackets, the lack of a steal rear floor (they had wired a horse stall mat to the frame) and a huge list of other mismatched parts.

I know... You get what you see right? LOL

Second one was a '48 cj2 for $6,000 and had more aluminum diamond plate that steal body.

Third one was a '46 cj2a in decent shape and came with extra parts (wheels, tires, engine rebuild kit, trans rebuild kit, and the kicker... a T3C Bantam trailer) Still talking with that guy inspite of the entire right rear corner being pushed into the tire. Looks like they may have Jack-knifed the trailer.

But last night I spoke with an older gentleman who has a '47 cj2a all original, no rust (beyond minimal surface rust). He's owned it for a little over 20 years, bought t off a farm in NW Oklahoma, and used to use it as a daily driver. Says it still runs and drives, but someone went through his warehouse yard (he's a collector) a few years ago and stole every copper radiator from his lot.

I plan to drive over and check it out this weekend.

As for my "retro-mod" plans, I've never really been a fan of "mil spec" jeeps. I plan to do a full frame off, paint/powder coat the chassis black, spray bedliner the bottom of the tub and the interior floors black, and shoot the body 2017 JK Chief blue, covert to 12V, and rewire with a modern fuse box. I also plan to keep the 16x4" wheels and run a moderm/non-military tire. Just basically a clean fresh look on an older Jeep.

As for my mechanical abilities, my last major build was a '67 VW bug turned into my version of a '50s hot rod. Every piece was built, not bought. This is part f why the wife says I have to buy a somewhat "complete" Jeep instead of a basket case.

Looks like there is a four picture limit per post. Must have missed that part. Anyway, here is the same '67 VW Bug after a little time, a lot of welding wire, gas, and a ton of grinding wheels.

Check out T-Jones page on this forum. He has a build that would suit your style. The great thing about Jeeps, they are a blank canvas for ones creative side.

There is nothing wrong with upgrading. The photo is of our fleet of Heeps. The wagon was upgraded long before we bought it with a SBC already crammed in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Check out T-Jones page on this forum. He has a build that would suit your style. The great thing about Jeeps, they are a blank canvas for ones creative side.

There is nothing wrong with upgrading. The photo is of our fleet of Heeps. The wagon was upgraded long before we bought it with a SBC already crammed in.
    Very nice looking.

Your Vdub is great! I love the style you went for.